1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Aww Jeeze....('77 Re-Hash)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beags64, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

100_0124.JPG 100_0125.JPG Somehow?? this ended up in the back of my truck today.

MaxPete, FB71, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  2. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I hate it when that happens. Dammit.

Hey - wanna sell that seat it’s.....unique! :lmao:

FB71, gggGary and Jim like this.
  3. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

The wife is headed to Sarnia on Saturday for her dad's birthday if you want to meet up with her Pete you can HAVE that seat! Hell, I'll even have her buy you a coffee at Timmy's.

Jim, robinc and MaxPete like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Hmmmmm......tempting Beags....but....noooooooo.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  5. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

How about that........Pete your getting a free coffee with the wife's seat......:bed:........ how can you pass that up............:laugh:

You might want to rephrase that Beags64...........

MaxPete, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  6. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

Yeah, Should've checked my "phrase-ology" on that one! Maybe Jim might want the pretty blue seat to hang next to his "All Seeing Eye" seat.

Jim and robinc like this.
  7. MaxPete

Oooppps - hmmmmm....how to dig out of this without suggesting that ....no, I can’t say that. Hmmmmm....awkward.

Tell you what Beags - you enjoy that seat in good health (if not good taste....) and safe travels to your darling wife. :rolleyes:

....and a happy birthday to your father-in-law!

...and thanks to Skull for the injection of antipodean humour.

Jim likes this.
  8. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

9. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Sounds like the beginnings of the "Ugly Seat Museum."

Laughing Minions.gif

gggGary, MaxPete and robinc like this.
  10. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Well, other than that seat, you did very well there. That's a very desirable model, one of the most sought after.

gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  11. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

Watched it sit on CL for 3 weeks 'till I couldn't stand it any more. What's ONE more project at this point. Will get her unloaded this weekend and start the investigation process, hopefully it just needs a good going over and some TLC.

Jim and MaxPete like this.
  12. MaxPete

Definitely a heck of a score! :rock:

...why don’t I ever seem to stumble across these?

Jim likes this.
  13. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

100_0127.JPG 100_0128.JPG 100_0131.JPG
    At least it's outa the truck and in the garage. Pretty sure if I look up the word "FUGLY" in the dictionary there's gonna be a pic of that seat.

gggGary, Jim and robinc like this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Very nice score you have there, congratulations!

You know it’s funny, back in the late 70’s when Kawasaki introduced the LTD line up, that style seat was all the rage. I actually paid a seat maker to build me a seat like that for my 78 Yamaha Xs750! :laugh2:
    3E2AE489-ACF6-444F-9AC7-F03744FAA24D.jpeg

MaxPete, robinc and Jim like this.
  15. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

Was peekin' through one of the "inspection holes" in that seat cover and it looks like the Quasimodo hump may just be glued on top of the factory foam. The pan looks to be stock and in decent shape. Peel off the hump, re-cover and should be golden.

MaxPete, gggGary, nj1639 and 3 others like this.
  16. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

I was just gonna say that.

Scott

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  17. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

100_0134.JPG 100_0135.JPG 100_0133.JPG 100_0137.JPG 100_0147.JPG
    Had a little time to do some investigating, nothing major that I couldn't already see. A few things are gonna need replacement but for the most part just cleaning (carbs #1 on the list) and adjusting.
    Compression was a few pounds either side of 120, checked cam chain tensioner and valve clearance. Still have to change oil, check, clean, replace? filters - TBD. Gotta go through at least the ignition circuit, points, coils, ect. Just happen to have a brand new AGM battery for my Softail sittin' on the tender and a semi-clean set of carbs off my '78 project, so might be able to at least hear the motor run within day or so.

MaxPete, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

So what's the long term plan.... soft resto... full on.... mod?

19. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

Lets say survivor/mod. Mechanically sound and cleaned up as is works for me. Oh yeah, different seat!

Jim and robinc like this.
  20. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Think that mileage on the speedo is correct? If so, it's amazing some get "put out to pasture" after so little use.

MaxPete, kshansen and gggGary like this.