Aww Jeeze....('77 Re-Hash)

If you're not worried about period correct, I have a set of gauges I'll let go 'dirt cheap." They have black faces and orange needles.

Good question 5T. For grins I just ran out and pulled the spedo cable at the wheel, stuck it in a drill - needle moves, odometer and trip meter BOTH moved. If the drive on the wheel still works those may be.

100_0153.JPG
Possible parts shelf "custom" exhaust. '78Spcl head pipes w/'82 XJ550 mufflers.

Some of these get "retired" for next to no reason at all. Mine was parked simply because the clutch cable broke, perfectly good running bike otherwise.

Can't see it in any pics, just out of sight. Going by the rev counter you have the early 77D rear brake lining warning set up. this was removed during the 77 production year.Yamaha cut off the bracket removed the wiring and replaced the rev counter gauge face with just the high beam warning light............This probably indicates the bike has the early gearbox splines, that was another mid year change.
Gauges; early 77D.... .................and later 77D...............Service bulletin gearbox change

3b  77D.JPG3 77 D.jpgXS gear changes.jpg

76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt28 28 copy 1.jpg

Last edited:
Good info Skull (as usual),definitely early year. Brake switch & bracket are still in place, no tellin' if it works - wire has been broken for who knows how long.

yeah stored wet the linings tend to fall off the shoes. Just shoes and springs missing from what I can see.
And the parts needed list grows again............

1400 miles!!!?

Sounds like somebody bought a bike and then somebody’s Mommy found out and gave them a major serious good whuppin’ - and then made somebody park that thang!

If that mileage is for real - it should run like a champ you clean things up - and then it should be an exceedingly nice bike to ride.

The bolt they used to anchor the torque arm to the brake plate is incorrect as well. It wasn't a plain hex head like they're using, it had a special oval shaped head that fits into the cut-out in the plate .....

zUgrLaC.jpg

Dug the bike back out...might as well dig this tread back out. Been cleaning, painting ect.
Peckin' away at the front end,
100_0307.JPG 100_0308.JPG
Fork seals/Boots/Oil
Wheel Bearings/Seals
Spokes (yeah cheap ass went with cad spokes)
New rubber
Neck Bearings
100_0309.JPG
Brembo caliper/rotor
100_0292.JPG 100_0311.JPG
'78 gages in '77 housings
Now on to handle bar switches and what not.

Last edited:
Back