Aww Jeeze....('77 Re-Hash)

….'nuff said.
100_0324.JPG 100_0325.JPG 100_0326.JPG

Hey I have a 1978 with a leaking petcock on left side would this be an approved repair form me I don't always smoke while riding and my plug wires only arc a little on damp morning!:yikes:

Hey I have a 1978 with a leaking petcock on left side would this be an approved repair form me I don't always smoke while riding and my plug wires only arc a little on damp morning!:yikes:
Actually to be honest I don't now and never did except for the one time when I was around ten years old and mom cured me of that one right fast! Another thing is I too cheap to pay that kind of money that could be better used on motorcycle parts or micro brew barley soda!

Well at least the PO didn't do much prep before his "repair", that mess just popped right off. Little bit of cleaning, install the new guts and I'll be good to go.

Sometimes ya gotta get a bit creative....
100_0327.JPG 100_0328.JPG 100_0330.JPG
Since he had no key it seems the PO thought it was OK to brutalize the gas cap & get rid of the pin.
Took a short piece of TIG rod turned the ends down a smidge, center drilled the ends, peened 'em and waalaa...a cap that closes.
100_0331.JPG 100_0332.JPG
Just have to reinstall the cap (w/the new seal) and the rebuilt petcocks on the freshly cleaned tank. One more thing off the list.

"Houston, we have a problem..."...
100_0696.JPG

...by my count one too many holes here.
Been chasing a minor weep around right side petcock. After multiple tries changing this that and the other a bit of poking around with a pick discovered a pin hole hidden below the paint. Small bubble in paint led me to the discovery.
Trying to avoid a liner if at all possible so looks like a thorough tank flush and wash is in order. Surrounding metal seems sound so going to do my best to TIG this lil bugger closed. Nothing to loose at this point.
At least it's in a spot that's easy to hide a repair.

"Houston, we have a problem..."...
View attachment 193802

...by my count one too many holes here.
Been chasing a minor weep around right side petcock. After multiple tries changing this that and the other a bit of poking around with a pick discovered a pin hole hidden below the paint. Small bubble in paint led me to the discovery.
Trying to avoid a liner if at all possible so looks like a thorough tank flush and wash is in order. Surrounding metal seems sound so going to do my best to TIG this lil bugger closed. Nothing to loose at this point.
At least it's in a spot that's easy to hide a repair.
Best of british luck there Beags.... been my experience that pinholes run in herds.

Oh I know, fixin' one generally breeds two or three more...okay maybe five. Gonna strip the area around the petcock flange and give it the once over, see if I can spot any more.
Push comes to shove I'll line it

Oh I know, fixin' one generally breeds two or three more...okay maybe five. Gonna strip the area around the petcock flange and give it the once over, see if I can spot any more.
Push comes to shove I'll line it
Never did it on a bike tank... but I've fixed more than one lawn mower tank with 5-600° silver solder and a propane torch. At that low temp the rest of the "herd" stays hidden. If the tig makes more holes, might give it a shot?

I have read articles on Tin soldering patches onto Motorcycle gas tanks
Knew one that worked with that at a shop forgot to went out the gas fumes properly could have ended with a balloon shaped tank.
Depends on where it is on the tank but the trick was grinding it clean and if I remember correctly use acid for cleaning
and thereafter is it called flux in English .
I believe it is a proven method from the days when auto body work also used tin.
Sheet metal work has used soldering long time back.
Although I have worked with sheet metal I have not patched tanks in this manner
But have used tin for parts

Once again the collective wisdom of this site wins out, always good to have multiple perspectives on a problem. Opted to go with Jim's better suggestion of soldering as opposed to my knee-jerk thought of welding.
Little bit of prep work...
100_0697.JPG

...gather the appropriate supplies...
100_0701.JPG

...and we have a winner!
100_0699.JPG

Again thanks to Jim for pointing me in the right direction. TIG could have turned into a never ending can of worms.
Now on to those side cover latches....

Nice work Beags!

If you do decide to use the "belt and suspender" approach and install a liner - I would recommend the POR15 tank treatment and liner kit. I used one on my 1976 XS650C tank and it is still good after about 5+ years. The installation process is a bit laborious as you have to keep the tank moving while the stuff cures and in my case, it took nearly three hours. I thought my arms were going to fall off....

https://por15.com/products/motorcycle-fuel-tank-repair-kit

BTW - POR15 is made in the US and it is the same liner system that Jay Leno uses on all of his high-dollar car and bike restorations.

The other motorcycle liners (such as Kreme) seem to react badly with modern ethanol gasoline and flake-off inside the tank. This can create all sorts of havoc with carb jets etc. In contrast, POR15 seems to be just about impervious to anything - so it stays put. They advertise that it can even seal small pin-holes so if there are still some there, you might repair the tank permanently that way.

Cheers,

Pete

Back