B38 Carb tuning

kenco

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone have any tips on tuning or syncing the B38 mikuni CV. I,ve removed them and giveen them a good clean. The jets are stock. I have wound out the mixture screw 1.5 turn. Nit sure how you can sync them, can this be done without buying special tools. The valce clearences have been set as have the point and cam chain.

Thanks, Ken

Well, since you're "nit" sure, I guess I'm not either, lol. My God, are we dealing with 12 year olds here? The answers you seek are in the Carb Guide. We wrote it to avoid multiple re-asks of the simple questions like this. Read it, PLEASE, and then read it again. It usually takes a couple readings to soak in. Now, I'm not saying the average 650 rider is a bit dense when it comes to understanding his carbs but, ....... well, posts like this prove he is.

Please go to the "tech" section of this site then.
Carburetors, fuel, intakes and air filters then
XS 650 Manuals, guides, carbs then start reading and don't miss:

http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf (5 Twins & Grizld1 the authors worked long and hard to research and prepare it for us all)

Now then, imagine that you were one of these two people, on this site regularly and most willing to help any and all but can't get people who want, need and even ask for help to read the answers already posted and already given. Read the guides first please!

Imagine the frustration?

Please read the guides.....your answers are in there! Help then makes a lot more sense at the least.

Hang in there 5 Twins....Blue

Last edited:
Come on now, take it easy on the guy.. Instead of taking so much time to respond about how dumb the question is, why not just say "What you're looking for can be found in this guide" then post the link... it would take a few seconds and you could move on. Someone else might stumble upon the thread and find out about the guide too.

People are always going to ask questions like this. It's the internet... and this forum encourages people to ask questions and participate. If no one asked questions, we wouldn't have a forum. Having good resources to link to will save you from writing a book every time the same question is asked, and is why I thought the guide and other tech articles were written in the first place... People will find it and learn, or not find it and ask, and then can be pointed in the right direction with a simple link or two..

:bike:

Hi,
I carried out the cleaning tips in the guide but still seem to have bit of a fueling problem. At about half throttle the bike still stutters and really struggles to match the throttle movement. I also found the carb cleaning tips on youtube really usefull. With me being a bit 'dense' pictures were really good.

Travis, as always good advice. Thanks.

Ken

- ken, have you modified the bike in any way ?...have you changed anything ?...why did you take the carbs off in the first place ?

Ken, also check the little filter screen in your petcocks. This implies draining the tank, which may be a good thing. Slosh it around first and make sure you get any detritus out, then fill with fresh fuel, preferably the non-alcohol stuff (do you have ethanol in England)?

Hey, Travis...

In fairness to Ken and other new arrivals, how difficult would it be to code up (or maybe something exists?) a little pop-up or "flag" - even a "Welcome, (kentco)!" greeting that would shunt newly registered folks to the Tech FAQs when they log in for the first time or validate their registration? Might be a handy feature. For myself, when I first came here, even as an "emigre" from 650rider.com, I might have easily overlooked a lot of the features here.

Just a thought! :)

TC

TeeCat, I was just discussing that with another member yesterday. Soon a message will be displayed to new members telling them to check out the Tech section before posting basic technical questions. It will also explain the different ways to search the forum. There is already a welcome message in place so it will just be enhanced. :thumbsup:

Well, to continue this hijack, what would be really cool is a Knowledge Base like the one V-Star 1100 one here: http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

Look at the way it captures tips, tricks and how-to for all repairs, mods and equipment categorically. I saw another forum that captures the corporate wisdom in a Wikipedia folder.

The Carb Guide is great but as it evolves and changes, it has to be edited and re-posted. Meanwhile anyone that downloaded the original is now out of date. A Knowledge Base (KB) solves that problem.

The guy that built the 1100 one said he'd be happy to show someone how to do it, not hard he says. If you're interested, Travis, Dave Slone's email addr is at the bottom of the KB.

Kent, something like that would be great! It's not hard, but is a shit ton of work to get it organized and to maintain it in that format. How much is a shit ton you ask? about 1.5 times an ass ton. Or is an ass ton 1.5 times a shit ton? I can never remember. :shrug:

Seriously though, I've been looking into ways to incorporate a wiki into the site were we could take the Tech section one step further and have a user created and edited wiki. That way several members could contribute and help maintain it. The only problem is finding a wiki that will seamlessly integrate into the site and not break when it is updated. I wouldn't want everyone to put that much work into something that doesn't have long term sustainability. So kent, I guess the answer is, I'm sort of working on it. As well as creating a better classifieds and gallery.

We should probably get this thread back on topic! Sorry about the hijack kenco!

Kent or anyone else, if you want to continue the discussion, start a new thread in The Lounge and I'll move these posts to it.

Now, lets get this back on topic :cheers:

Back