Baby got new shoes.

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just finished putting new brake shoes on the front of my XS1-B, and the brakes still suck. I spent about three hours cleaning, polishing, and sanding the drum with emery paper, so they are about as good as they're going to get. I guess I have just forgotten how bad the old drum brakes were.

Attachments

• 20230510_140221.jpg
    20230510_140221.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 66
Nice! I swapped my original XS1 drum front end to a ‘73 disc. Same length stem but still 34mm. Original disappeared- wish I kept it just as a memento. Which muffs are you running?

I have no idea, they came with the bike. There are no markings anywhere to be found. They sure sound good.

I went through the same with mine, then finally adjusted them according to the Yamaha service manual and now they work much better. Not as good as a disc, but at least they work. Adjustment is critical on the DLS.

I went through the same with mine, then finally adjusted them according to the Yamaha service manual and now they work much better. Not as good as a disc, but at least they work. Adjustment is critical on the DLS.
After a re-adjustment, I sorta re-arced the shoes by sanding down the high spots on a belt sander. Then cut cross hatches in the shoes, and now they are working much better.

The attached photo shows a 1b with straight fender braces. Hmm..

Attachments

• E4428520-77ED-455B-B14E-DCC46A73AAF8.png
    E4428520-77ED-455B-B14E-DCC46A73AAF8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
I have an old parts manual that shows both fork and front fender types on the XS1-B. It denotes the fork lowers with "ears" as "New type" and the front fender with associated braces as "alternate part" with p/n as 256-21510-10-93

I have an old parts manual that shows both fork and front fender types on the XS1-B. It denotes the fork lowers with "ears" as "New type" and the front fender with associated braces as "alternate part" with p/n as 256-21510-10-93
The xs1-b I have now, and the one I bought new in 71 both have ears on the bottom of the chrome fork legs. The fender braces are both the high kind.

Back