Back at it ://

Noidea

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Thought my bike was ready to go I took a ride an hour from my house and back was fine was preparing for strange days than on my way over my tx started to idle pretty high and when I pulled into a parking lot it just died. I tried to start it but when it would idle it would boggle out and just die couldn’t get it started. I did everything I could do at the moment camchain tension valve adjustment. The morning I left I cleaned my carbs out so that they’re crispy and eliminated from any problem I may have. I have a suspicion it’s my advanced unit. If it does idle it acts like the timing is all off. But when I check it it’s fine. How can I make sure if my advanced unit before to either clarify or eliminate it from my diagnoses?

Another "possible" is crap gas. Drain the float bowls into a container look for flow and appearance of the gas that comes out

No these are my buddies carbs i have bs38s matching set. The one with the choke in one side of the left carb

I was testing my coils yestarday got some weird numbers. Stopped midway because the humidity was to much I’ll test them and bring some numbers. You thinking it’s carb related?

Does it run now? there's a long list of could be's,
from gas cap to ignition coil,
intermittent faults are the most fun. :banghead::banghead:

Tell me about it. No it doesn’t run now.i was suspecting something to do with ignition or timing considering the way it was acting my carbs have to be fine considering the amount of times I’ve cleaned them. I’ll prob clean them again force of habit. But than onto coils and wiring. I’ve checked my timing statically it’s fine. That why I was asking about my atu. Guy at motorcycle show I went to suggested I check that out and it sounded reasonable.

I apologize for the late response. Been gone for past week with some Home situations and super broke so no funds to buy parts if necessary. In references to @TwoManyXS1Bs I was having a problem with this hose previously. What’s normal procedure for fitting this hose on wire clamps? Should I use zipties? I suppose anything that holds it on would work. Also the barb for that hose comes lose with ease. In my mind this would also have air escaping is this truth or would it stay where it’s supposed to?

@peanut i suppose I’ll reply back now in that one I just don’t have much information regarding the mismatched set cause my buddy doesn’t really have money to get anything at the moment. We’ve been tracing down other problems within the changing system for now than we’ll get to that when we can. I’m always thankful for the help knowledge and time you guys serve up here that goes without saying. But your correct wrong of me not Give you guys the details on latest info to help other people aswell.

Ok so I have a no start condition. My camchain valves and timing are all in proper sync. Tested my coils these are my results mind you these are pretty new. About a month or 2 old
Right primary side-2.3 ohms
Right secondary side - 13.92

Left primary side - 3.9 ohms
Right primary side - 1 ohm

I know what the specs are and that the primary on the right side is wrong and secondary on left is wrong. I still have spark but it’s pretty shit. Took two me pics this is what igot

Right side is the first image

Left side are the 2nd 2

Attachments

• 53CE8C9D-6C66-4ABA-8711-C18D06DBDCE8.png
    53CE8C9D-6C66-4ABA-8711-C18D06DBDCE8.png
    738 KB · Views: 93
  • 59A856D3-55CE-4DB9-AD3B-FD5D469E8DC2.png
    59A856D3-55CE-4DB9-AD3B-FD5D469E8DC2.png
    733 KB · Views: 107
  • CDC2E1FD-195F-4DC4-9716-95BF7C2502E3.png
    CDC2E1FD-195F-4DC4-9716-95BF7C2502E3.png
    759.5 KB · Views: 112
Also it seems like they keep destroying spark plugs I bought a 4 pack of b8ES and 2 went bad in one ride. Not sure if it’s that or that I’m running so rich it clogs the plug. Would bad coils cause this condition?

Anndd I just realized I have the wrong spark plugs... I have b8ES not BP8ES would this condition alone cause my problem the probes do look completely different and the spark differences is immense. Gonna get me a pair of those and see what I got

More wrong than you realize. The 8's are a step too cold, you should be running 7's. That might account for the black burn and fouling. Also, make sure you check and set the plug gaps down around 28 or 30. Sometimes new plugs come gapped very large for car use, sometimes up near 40. Our wimpy ignitions won't fire a gap that big, or barely fire it.

Back