Bad reg/rec? Or...

Runninlean

Model citizen, zero discipline
Reaction score
I build my bike, rode it about 200 miles on and off just fine then had electrical issues, got it widdled down to my battery draining voltage at a rapid rate. Disconnected the reg/rec and it stopped the issue, I ordered a new reg/rec and upon plug in it’s not allowing any lights on at all. The original reg/rec works fine but has a drainage issue.

My question is do the brushes or anything else able to drain power thru the reg/rec?

Possible your rotor is shorted. Check resistance across the two rings and to ground. Should be about 5Ω across the rings and open to ground.
Normally the rotor pulls about 2 and half amps. The lower the resistance gets, the higher the current draw is gonna be. 1Ω across the rings would pull 12 amps. :yikes:

Hey! So I tested the rotor at a very low reading, I’m thinking that is the issue, I’m reading around 1.1 ohm thru the rings and still a zero to ground, I have discovered that I have a brush that has quite a bit more play in it than it should. Although I will replace the brushes while I’m ordering parts I’m trying to eliminate unnecessary things of course,
Bike runs fine and starts first kick when battery is full but when I turn on the key before start,it drains the battery at an alarming rate.
my questions:
1)Can the brushes lead to this issue?
2) Can I just assume it’s the rotor?
3) need more beer

1)Can the brushes lead to this issue?
2) Can I just assume it’s the rotor?
3) need more beer
1.) Brushes tend to fail to the high resistance problem range.. not low. Did you remove/disconnect the brushes before testing the rotor? That would eliminate them as a cause for low resistance across the rotor rings.

2.)Prolly best to pull the stator off.... just to make sure it's not shorting (rubbing) against the rotor. If you still get 1.1Ω across the rings, then yeah... the rotors bad.

3.) Yeah... me too.:rolleyes:

Have a look here for a rewound rotor.

Well fortunately/unfortunately after disassembling the entire set up I have found this(see pic) as the issue. This was grounding out to the motor under a ziptie Thus giving my regulator a false reading of a bad diode. Still have a good rotor coming and brushes to just get a fresh setup.

Attachments

• 6D6FF8FF-3DE5-4776-B79C-72917EF943EA.jpeg
    6D6FF8FF-3DE5-4776-B79C-72917EF943EA.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 113
Back