Bad stator/ no turn signals but running lights

Toddler

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
so i have 2 questions

1- i bought my 76 XS 650 today it has a bad stator so i'm looking to replace and or upgrade that

2- i can get the bike started and runs well but i don't have working turn signals front or back and my brake light doesnt get brighter when i touch the brakes. could the bad stator be causing this or is it a different issue?

thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

First welcome to the forum, no turning lights, could be bad fuses, bad ground wires, bad bulbs, no brakes light could be a bad brake switch wire, or again check those ground wires, they need to be clean and making a good ground, trace those wires back make sure there not touching and shorting out. I don't think it would be a bad stator, if your battery is charging.

+1 ^

Also Brake light could be the bulb as well... two filaments, so check that.

Doubt they are related to the charging issue.

Don't go buying parts on the PO's say so, if he knew anything he would have fixed it. Go to the tech link above look up the charging guide, do the tests find the real problem(s). Ask questions if something isn't clear. THEN consider parts. Check the classifieds here, post a wanted if you don't find what you need. Get a pic or two of your bike, post them, we love pics, and it REALLY helps us to know what you have.

thanks for the responses!
1- all bulbs are good
2- all fuses are intact
3- the brake wire for the switch looks intact and is still connected and moves when i push the rear brake.
4- i did find a wire that is disconnected from a plug that im not sure where it runs.

i was able to charge the bike and drive it to my friends shop. it was my first time riding a motorcycle EVER so trial by fire i guess but im good wasnt terribly scary haha. itll run for a solid 5-6 minutes just on battery power then when i got there we all smelled something similar to sulfur not sure what that is but ill scan the page for similar issues. but im off to trace wires. i cant get pics right now since my phone is dead im limited to the shop computer. ill report back if i find anything!

Charging system parts and wiring and design changed through the years, some dummies throw in parts without knowing if they are the RIGHT parts for the year. The engine or other parts may have been changed swapped rewired, that's why I was hoping for pics; to help us help you.

Not to harp too much on the brake light bulb thing (but only because this happened to me back in the day)...but have you tested the brake light bulb on both filaments? Also checked that it is indeed a dual filament bulb?

Sometimes they may look ok, and just because the running light works, doesn't mean the brake light will work...so you might as well test each one. It's simple to do, and may help from chasing wires that aren't an issue.

Funny story about the dual filament bulb, I had a honda back in the day, and the guy I got it from told me he couldn't figure out why the brake light wouldn't come on. I chased wires all over that bike and couldn't find any issues, until finally I checked the bulb, and it wasn't that it wasn't getting power, but rather the bulb that was in there was only a single filament bulb. Doh!!! (The silver lining was he dropped the price another hundred because of the electrical work that I would have to do....a correct bulb fixed it, and no other issues were found). :)

I just replaced both license plate light, everything look good, filaments all connected but they were bad, got new bulbs and now they light. And that brake switch wire works when the brake is pressed, is the plunger coming out when brakes pressed on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 243
i have turn signals! woo! found some crappy wiring that the PO did and re crimped them with new butt connectors instead of twisting two wires together and taping it like it was previously. also found a that two wire came out of a clip that ran under the bike from the voltage regulator and put a water proof spade connector on them. bike is on the charger for a minute and well see then!

In no particular order

Welcome to the forum, The XS650 and motorcycling.
Take the safety foundation course.
I'm confused there were no 76 XS650 Special Edition So what bike do you have? This is important for you to know what charging system you have. Again pics help. one with the LH side cover off so we can see what regulator recifier you have. and one with the round LH cover behind the shift lever off so we can see the stator and brush assembly would be most helpful. A VOM
lliammeter-vom-model-te-184-w-leads-provided_image.jpg
is necessary. they can be had for $5.00 to $500, a cheap one will be OK for charging 101 and would have found where the brake light problem was. Almost as useful is a home made test light, any old turn signal or taillight with a a couple of feet of wire and some alligator clamps will track and show 12 volts and create enough load so that by the bulb brightness you know if you have a strong current path. They sell those neon test lights which are OK but a home made one with a 5 or 10 watt bulb is actually better.
DO NOT run the bike until the charging system is working as designed. More guys have turned small problems into big problem$ doing that than any other single old motorcycle trick.
Based on your sulfur smell you have an OVER charging condition. That will toast your battery (if it hasn't already) and burn out other expensive charging system components.
Mis-wiring, wrong components, bad grounds or a stuck voltage regulator would be the root of an over charge, not a bad stator. A volt meter will show what is actually going on.

Old motorcycles are romantic but many do not realize WHY they are romantic. They require a commitment to know and understand their systems and foibles. Fail to do this and you better have comfortable walking shoes.

AS most have already said. Check each part before you go out and buy new. What you need to do is make a list and go at one problem at a time. I would do charging system first since it does start and run a volt meter will work fine. There are only three places to look for brake lights THE POWER TO IT/BRAKE SWITCH/TAIL LIGHT a cheap test light will help you there. Last turn signals on these bikes can drive you nuts so I would check the handle bar switch to see if you are getting power then check the flasher and wires to each light then the lights themselves. I had one come in and a ground in the harness rotted and that was the only thing that kept them from working. So I again would check out the running and charging parts first.
If you need any one on one you can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
WELCOME to THE XS FAMILY
Rich

Back