Bad Switches

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
Just a heads up and for some of you head banngers put your thinking caps on.
Ok you guys know I make harnesses and I ran into a bad set of switches that are driving me nuts. These are aftermarket switches and I have used them in the past and never heard back if they were still working. I try and keep the cost of my harnesses down so they are reasonable and I know that I can go to a much better factory switch but that raises the cost to be close to just buying a factory harness. My harnesses are 16 gage and stock is 18 gage so the wire is not the problem. These switches are very small wire 22 gage and I think they just can't handle the 12 volts after time.
I bought 11 switches so I had stock and 8 out of 11 went up in smoke. These switches are HORN/TURN SIGNALS/HIGH BEAM Handlebar switch . Some of them went up in smoke as soon as I ran the flasher and the other went up in smoke when I had the high beam on. Yet if I OHM these out they work perfect before I stick voltage to them. They are kind of weird the way they are wired and one of them I even changed the wire to 16 gage and that worked so far but looks like shit.
Anyone ever use these and of course you can only get the vendor threw email so I am going to eat this cost plus I had to give a couple refunds because I can't deliver. So for now until I can figure out this issue or go to a more costly switch I am not taking any orders on harnesses with handlebar switches.
Put your thinking caps on I need some input am I missing something???

Attachments

• b915a402-cfe9-cf0f-ff71-e21247a42042.jpg
    b915a402-cfe9-cf0f-ff71-e21247a42042.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 262
I had a the same problem (not sure where it came from my buddy had it for his build) he thought I fucked up and was mad at me . I also had a problem with some toggle switch rated at 20 amps did not blow the 10 amp fuse but melted the switch I think there just mad in china shit hell one melted turning on a relay that draws .25 amp

Hey, Rich. I have some mini/micro slider switches like those turn signal switches. They're best used in low current signal type circuits, like less than 0.5 amp. Wired direct on a bike using regular incandescent bulbs, your switches could be trying to handle up to 5 amps, and with tiny contacts that may have just the tiniest little resistance (like 0.1-0.2 ohm) they could be experiencing 2 to 5 watts of heating power, which translates to very high temps in tiny contacts.

They would probably be better suited for driving LEDs and/or relays...

Use the switches but wire them to trip relays. The relays control the heavy loads.
Leo

Back