Banggood Products - Worth Buying?

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
A while back in a thread about brakes, 5Twins mentioned that Banggood had stainless brake lines in stock at a good price. I went on line saw the product, bought a couple which were delivered at no cost to my front door. If it is any test, they look like good quality items, although not yet installed on a bike.

More online research/shopping brought me to the tools section where I ordered a spoke wrench for $9.00, a chain brush for $6.00, a pair of three way wrenches in the popular sizes for about $7.00 each. These arrived today. The chain brush is sturdy and fits the hand nicely, the 3 way tools are a bit rough, but can be smoothed out. The spoke tool I bought because it has the correct opening for the valve adjusters, I checked, it has a bit of weight to it which may help. So all in all, for the money paid, I am content.

Next to Banggood bar switches.

After a disappointing day of trying to clean and rebuild a 76 bar switch where twice I had a left switch all dismantled, cleaned, reassembled, etc., only to have the high beam slide switch break off on the first test, I again looked at the Banggood site and found a pair of chrome bar switches for $27.00. They have arrived and are garish, but solid. I just wish they came with a wiring diagram so I could know what color wire controls what function. Taking them apart, I can trace the wires, so I guess I can figure it out. But for less than $15.00 a side, they are worth a look. It will take a while for me to match the wires to the existing harness. New ends will be needed of course.
I have since seen that they offer the same but not chromed, (and are even cheaper) which I think would be the better alternative.
Who else has used these and how did your integration to the stock harness go?

Attachments

• SAM_4972.JPG
    SAM_4972.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 333
  • SAM_4967.JPG
    SAM_4967.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 350
  • SAM_4969.JPG
    SAM_4969.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 345
I had exactly the same experience with the bar switches on my '76: when I got the bike, the switches were packed full of whitish-brown powdery crapola and they simply fell apart when I tried to clean them. I bought replacements (black coloured) from XSDirect - and they look and work great. I think they cost about $54 CAD each (more than $15 - but they look like a piece of 1976 on my bike).

Now, there was a fair bit of fiddling around with the wiring because the only switches available are for '77D model bikes which have some extra circuitry for self-cancelling turn signals - but if you stare at the '77 and '76 wiring diagrams and use a multimeter on the switch leads to figure out what each wire actually does, it is possible to make the '77D switches work perfectly with the '76C wiring harness (also bought from XSDirect). The bike obviously doesn't have the self-cancelling signal function - but it never did and everything else works great.

Basically, the RH switch worked perfectly as-is but on the LH switch I had to cut off a 6-pole connector plug (there is no mating plug on the '76 harness) and install some bullett connectors on about 4 of the resulting loose wires...BUT not use one or two of those on that LH switch harness that related to the self-cancelling signals. I just taped them off inside the headlight bucket.

Pete

Sorry - I meant to also add that several folks on the ST Owners site have bought, and recommend BangGood stuff.

Bill, the switch wiring doesn't have to be a mystery. Just use your multimeter on the lowest resistance range you have until you find which wires do what when you move which switches. You'll be surprised at how easy the job is.

RE Banggood I am a sucker for cheap stuff. And have bought quite a bit of banggood "toys". "Good, fast, cheap pick two" seems to apply. Delivery from Canadian warehouses to USA is spotty at best. Some things have shipped in reasonable time others took weeks or more. I have a few itemsthat haven't arrived....... This may be related to the Christmas rush and it may be related to growing pains. Quality has been hit or miss but often stuff is so cheap it's easy to say oh well and toss it. Guess I am saying if it's GOT to be good and time is of the essence this may not be your cup of tea. Kind of a "modern" JC Whitney type of vender. Or a MikesXS without the quality control and fast shipping. :rolleyes:

WhatMeWorry.png

I bought some weather stripping from JC Whitney for a VW bug back in '94.
The windows wouldn't go back in and the doors wouldn't shut. Lol

I bought some weather stripping from JC Whitney for a VW bug back in '94.
The windows wouldn't go back in and the doors wouldn't shut. Lol

......so I guess it wouldn't float anymore....
Dang - that was always such a cool thing about Bugs.

FWIW, the wires as I can track them are as follows:
overall, black seems to have retained its ground assignment
Right Side:
Kill switch: green and black/white wires
Starter: red/yellow and green
Headlight: blue/white, brown/white, brown, black
Front Brake switch: green/yellow, black
Left Side:
Horn: teal shade of green, black
Hazard: grey, black/red
Direction: light blue (left?) orange (right?) hazard wires go in there as well so 4 leads are there
Left side also has a duplicate headlight on/off as well, same colors as the other side. Your results may vary, but hope that this at least gives someone else a start.

I am tempted to spray them with a candy color black to take the edge off the garish chrome, wish I had seen the black ones before I ordered, but that would be future work, as they would have to function in the application first.

The application for these items is an incomplete project that I bought a while back, but am getting going on now in my basement as the garage is too cold for a few months. The po had bobbed it by cutting off the stock tank mounts front and back and doing a brat conversion. The coil mounts had been moved back; everything looks well done, the top shock plates are nearly 5/8th " thick. It came with a old style springer front end which I sold and a sporty tank as well as a couple duck bill HD fenders, one of which is too small for a rear fender and the other too big. So I have mocked it up just to look at and to figure out the routing for my wiring. I cut the shape of a seat out of aluminum stock last night and project today is to bend it to the shape of the frame.
Here are some shots of the bike as purchased (came with a rough incomplete stock '75) and a detail of the brat conversion. OP has not cut off the centre stand which makes me think he had a plan and was not just using a sawsall with bad intent.

Attachments

• 100_4873.JPG
    100_4873.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_4876.JPG
    100_4876.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_4882.JPG
    100_4882.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 281
  • SAM_4975.JPG
    SAM_4975.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 306
  • SAM_4977.JPG
    SAM_4977.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 302
  • SAM_4978.JPG
    SAM_4978.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 286
Looks very interesting - and you've got the stock of spares to pull it off!

Pete

Back