bare minimum basic kickstart wiring!!!"!" help

stunter6912

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm new to this site and almost done with my first build. I'm just now wiring and haven't done it before. I'm just trying to get a diagrahm on what to do to just make it run. No ignition, no key, no push start, just plain old kickstart!!!! I can do the headlights obviously, brake light no blue. So any help would be lovely LOL. Ill post my build when its done 1980 xs 650 6pin!!!

so you just going to stall it out every time you want to shut it down? You will need to get rid of the factory electronic ignition and install a Pamco and a PMA kit (hughshandbuilt is best) using a capacitor. Follow the wiring instructions for the PMA kit and Pamco and it will be very simple to do it how you want it, keyless and switchless.

Hey Stunter, plenty of wiring digrams available on the web. Do a search on XS650 Garage forum. You can use a stock wiring system and just rip out the stuff you don't want or you can wire from scratch. The advantage of starting with stock is you have all the connectors. I'm still running ignition switch, speedo back lights, turn signals, halogen headlight. I ripped indicator lights and starting system and swapped out a bunch of bullet connectors for multi-pins.

Are you planning on running a battery? I'm using a 1.8Ah sealed 12v rc car battery I picked up at Ace Hardware. Thing's tiny and only weighs a few ounces but it allows me to use the stock charging system and electronic ignition (GM HEI).

Are you planning on running a battery? I'm using a 1.8Ah sealed 12v rc car battery I picked up at Ace Hardware. Thing's tiny and only weighs a few ounces but it allows me to use the stock charging system and electronic ignition (GM HEI).

More info.... PLEASE? Sounds like a good way to get back up and running while I save up for the PMA/Pamco set up

There are a lot of people on this site who are wiser than I am and can correct me if i'm wrong, With a PMA you'll still want to run a small battery or at the very least a couple of capacitors to smooth the peaks in the rectified voltage from the alternator.

The battery I'm using is also used for things like battery backups - hence availability at hardware stores. Should be pretty easy to find. I think there was an even smaller one available but I was uncomfortable with the capacity. The part number on mine is UB1213. You might find a different one. Just make sure you have the 12 volt version.

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 2012-04-30_12-36-03_956.jpg
    2012-04-30_12-36-03_956.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 310
I went PMA when MrRiggs educated our world as to all of the 3 phase PM stuff that is sitting in the bone yards. I use the stator mount that he cast - I don't know if he still sells them.

I think that it is cool to re-cycle.

I first ran PAMCO and the coil that Pete recommended, with a SPARX capacitor and no battery - The stock motor would usually start on first kick with that set-up.

The proper coil is the key. You want one hot enough to fire with the low output of the kick, but not so hot as to fry itself or the PAMCO the first time a plug cap comes loose. Follow Pete's advice on this one. NO GREEN MONSTERS

I recently changed motors (still no starter motor) and with its 10.5 pistons I decided to put the battery back in - just in case - 'cause that compression is hard on your boots.

The only locks I have on my bike are on the gas-tank, and I will get rid of those when I do my next round of mods.

The only switches you REALLY need are the horn button, rear brake switch and the Hi/Lo dip, but that is a bit more minimal than I would advise. I suggest a toggle switch for the main circuit (ignition. brake light switch, horn, on/off light switch) toggle for the lights and rocker for the dp

I run a 20 amp fuse for the main crcuit and a 5 amp to the igniton.

You can take the 20a fuse out when you park it (as a securty measure).

Back