Barn Find / Garage Find

Backroader

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well looks like I may have found the XS for this winter's project.

1979, with 27000 KMs. found it locally, months ago, however just got to see it today.

I might be able to get this one up and running for the spring. The eninge is not siezed so I hope thats a good sign:laugh:

SDC10139.jpg

SDC10143.jpg

SDC10145.jpg

SDC10155.jpg

SDC10156.jpg

Wow!! whats the story behind it? a couple leaks, but could just shrank gaskets.
Mine turned over too when I bought it,but one piston pin had let go, and well, on on on.

What's the best thread to start getting info on what parts are interchangable between years and models.

Lots of stuff to do.... lots of questions, looking forward to this project.

I don't think we have a dedicated thread for that yet. What parts do you need to find? I'm sure we help you figure out what years they are the same on. The main differences between different years are the wheels, disc brake rear vs drum rear, points ignition vs TCI, 34mm forks vs 35mm forks, and the various carbs that were used.

- nice find

- alsö cosmetically tanks, guages, frames, seats differ

- internally there are
-3 different crank setups-these are interchangeable but only complete with rods and pistons-need to be careful that bottom end oil feed is correct when doing this-compression ratios differ​
-also 3 different clutches-interchangeable as units-dont try to adapt 1 with bits from another​

- your head gasket is starting to leak, as usual, may be lucky to get away with simply retorquing

- strip your carbs paying particular attention to the pilot circuits, these will give you no end of trouble until you get them right-get a kit

it's snowing here now so I guess I can officially start a, no I should say, start my very first ever, winter bike project :D

Step one: Get the BMW into the shed to make room for the little red XS

Step two: Get the little red XS from the owner.....

Step three: Panic.. once it arrives ....where do ya start first.....front end, back end, or in the middle.:banghead:

Is there 24 hour support on this forum ? I have only ever done servicing, fluids, tighten chains, clean the breather, add air to the tires oh ya and add gas.

Is there 24 hour support on this forum ?

Haha, pretty much! With having members from Canada, Germany, Australia, the U.K., the Netherlands, Belgium, and all over the United States, people are on this site at all hours of the day.

What are your plans for the bike again? Restore it? It's a little newer than you were originally looking for isn't it?

The deal may fall through..... issues with price and the fact it's not the bike I am really looking for is not sitting well with me.

I found another XS last night, with only 12000K in running condition for only $200.00 more. Black in colour, which I would prefer over red.

I hate to "waffle on a deal" but if I am going to spend time and money on a ride that's not going to be gratifying at the end of the day, then I have got to pass.:(

This is what I am looking for ro at least get to at the end of the project.....

480_Right.jpg

Last edited:
That's dark blue, It's mark's 77. Backroader, might as well wait to find something you really want. You're going to spend a lot of time and some money on it so you might as well get the right bike from the start.

That's dark blue, It's mark's 77. Backroader, might as well wait to find something you really want. You're going to spend a lot of time and some money on it so you might as well get the right bike from the start.

Yup. it's , well it was Mark's....I guess I set the bar pretty high, however I saw this exact/similar bike two other times..... once, this summer in Winnipeg on Corridon Ave. ( trendy cruzin spot) and the other time, back in 1982 when a friend road it everyday to work. He traded it for a 1978 500 Yamaha single, enduro....what a "piece of sh$&". ( can I say that on this forum ?)

Oh well... I am off chasing another lead.... I hope the fun does not end when I finally get the bike I am looking for.

The deal may fall through..... issues with price and the fact it's not the bike I am really looking for is not sitting well with me.

I found another XS last night, with only 12000K in running condition for only $200.00 more. Black in colour, which I would prefer over red.

I hate to "waffle on a deal" but if I am going to spend time and money on a ride that's not going to be gratifying at the end of the day, then I have got to pass.:(

This is what I am looking for ro at least get to at the end of the project.....

480_Right.jpg
is that the actual picture of the bike? if so- Ide buy that one if I was you.
do a compression check before you buy. you might be able to get it for the same $ as the red one!!
It would be a shame to chop up such a nice one, but since it runs, might be just what you need, since every thing is there and working.
when you take it apart, save EVERYTHING.
Mine was a pos basket case with a busted piston. If I ever do another bike, IT WILL be a runner before teardown.

yeah if i could get perdue to spend some money on computers instead of chickens,lol ,:doh:maybe i need to get on my computer at home instead of at work huh:laugh::laugh:

Well I have been hard at it.... Still searching for "that just right bike" and still at it. Exchanged numerous emails and photos.
I have found some interesting stuff out there, even in the dead of winter. The most notable is, there is a ton off 1979, 1980 and 1981 Xs specials still available and most in or close to running condition.
Came close to making an offer on a 1975, however, just could not come to terms with the price.
I am off to Thunder Bay next week to look at 1977 D model. There was only one photo available and it looks like it's been somebody's project bike that may have been passed on.
Oh well, I have been patient and am learning lot as I go.
Will keep posting...

Back