Barn Find / Garage Find

- winnepeg to thunder bay - whats that, about 500 miles each way? and through some nice country too - dont forget your ice fishing gear...4 of us travelled from toronto to edmonton on snowmobiles once, took 2.5 months-all in fun, no xs luggage...have a good trip...

Thanks INXS, made the trip many times, I grew up there. Rode there twice this summer on my F800GS.

Actually have gone from Dryden to Thunder Bay in the bush on a KLR650. That took one day of hard technical riding, with the beaver dam crossings, washouts and snow packed sections of bush roads.

Hang in there.. Better to find something worth the time, money, and effort when looking for a restoration. You'll probably save money in the long run spending more on a bike in good shape vs. getting a bike for cheaper that will need a lot more parts replaced. All the little stuff adds up quick. But then again, that depends on how much more you have to spending for the bike in good shape. :shrug:

- that would have been fun backroader

- dont know how many miles it was crash - it was a fucking shit load of snow though..mostly we dug snow caves or cut igloo blocks, snow baths are - well - SO cold, only real bed we slept in was in huntsville - broke half-through the ice only once

at least it sounds like you had a great times and thats what its all about right.its not about the destination ,its all about the journey ride on.

- having grown up with ads ive learnt that having fixed agendas or planned destinations are meaningless - take a squiz at quantum physics and you learn that although many relationships are defineable, electronically, space time is all about probabilities...and that opens up all sorts of explorable possibilities - the secret is not to become so distracted that you lose sight of whatever realities you hold true

- it would have been very easy simply to keep on going

Last edited:
I can't post photo's from my "I Touch" but I'm close to buying a 1978 XS special. I received numerous photos of the bike over the past two days and from what I have seen, it looks like the real deal.
2197 km's, original everything and in good running condition. The current owner picked it up last year with only 1500 kms on it.
Burgandy in colour.... No rust in the tank... Only immediate concern is the 1000 km drive to pick it up. Will also change the tires.

Backroader,please post pics if you get this bike. I have the same bike,and it is mint,with 6,350 original miles. Everyone chops up the Specials,as they are so plentiful. There may come a day that surviving Specials are actually desireable,that is why mine will be left stock.

Aside from the "Old Guy" windshield and "I made it myself" handy dandy (disfunctional) tail rack....this is what I hope it looks like when I eventually get it back to Winnipeg. It's been stored indoors for 33 years. (you have got to appreaciate people who take care of their bikes.)

DSC01815.jpg

DSC01993.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

I would call it a garage find... No bike ever came out of a barn looking like that!

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for it?

Pretty sure it's not going to be cut up since he's looking for a classic look. Or do you mean cut up as in modifying the frame to put the older style seat on there?

Yes I would say it's a garage find.... one garage to another.

The price, well lets say, the guys who buy these finds off EBay are paying too much..... given it has virtually no miles on it...that is the premium I hope to capitalize on someday.

No I won't cut this bike up...I might try to modify "a seat" to look lower at the back, get a set of "pea shooter pipes" and lower handle bars. If this works then I will have the best of both bikes.

Hey, who wants to buy that 4X8 sheet of plexis glass hanging on the front of the bike.:laugh:

yeah that thing is huge!! :laugh: I didn't really look at it that close before... You could stand up and it would still block the wind. You should definitely take it out for a spin like that though just to see what it's like to ride in a bubble. I bet you lose at least 10mph off the top end and 10mpg with that on there. :wink2: It's like pushing a billboard down the road.

With the wind we deal with on the Prairies, the bike would take off like a kite....I rode my F800GS south west of Winnipeg one afternoon to a place, St. Leon, where the Wind Farm Generators are located...I thought I was going to wear one side right off the tires..... every time I would go past a farm yard with tress and cover the bike would stand up straight so fast it nearly tossed me into the ditch.

Anyway I will be taking bids on the Windshield and the Carrier..... I'm sure somebody on Ebay needs this shit.

Yeah riding in high winds isn't fun even without that billboard on the front. I know what you mean about being all over the road. Like when it's windy and a semi truck is coming the other way. Depending on which way the wind is coming from, you either end up toward the ditch or toward the trailer of the semi as it passes. :eek:

Good luck finding a box to fit that in... haha I can see it now, a refrigerator box showing up on the doorstep after winning that windshield on ebay.

Depending on who you ship it through, don't forget to calculate the size of the box when you figure shipping charges. It'll definitely be oversized and cost more even though it probably doesn’t weigh much. Might want to charge them for the box too since you might have to buy one.

I sold a set of wheels on ebay once and didn’t make shit on them. I miscalculated the shipping costs so I had to pay $20 out of my pocket there, and had to buy a $13 box to fit them in. Plus all the packing materials. When you subtract the ebay and paypal fees I only made like $10 on them. That wasn’t worth the time I spent listing the parts, packaging them up, and bringing them to the UPS store. I could have sold one of the brake rotors for more than that. I should have just given them away on craigslist or something. :mad:

Back