Barn Yard find - 73 TX650

Oddjob

adsgads
Reaction score
So about a month ago I came across this “Barn Yard” find locally on craigslist… it’s a 73 TX650. It was bought as a parts bike, without papers, and with some assembly required… :D Over the last month or so, I’ve gone through the process of successfully obtaining registration papers for the bike.

fNZiit.jpg

Clubman bars, and shorty shocks removed…

klZEKg.jpg

bi3R3y.jpg

Chrome issues…

iwqvxJ.jpg

It is a mostly complete bike, and is missing only the rear fender and air box. It will however, require a bit of TLC to get back on the road, so I am treating this as a fall/winter project.

As evidenced by the extra head and the used cam chain that was included in the parts bin it appears that the PO has replaced the cam chain and head. At some point it looks like a 2 into 1 exhaust was fitted on to the bike but never fired. The exhaust is actually rusting and the chrome delaminating, despite having never been used… It also appears that at some point the compression starter hardware was deleted, with the only remnants being the starter lever under the throttle. The carburetors appear to be a later model BS38’s with only single throttle wire actuation, despite the TX containing two throttle wires to control the carbs individually.

As far as the fender and air box are concerned, I am wondering if these items are compatible with other early XS650 years… and if so what years?

As per the VIN threads posted in the Tech section, is there a distinction between the US/CDN TX650 VIN’s?

As far as getting it started, I am thinking that I should do the following:
  • Check/verify the head bolt torque
  • Verify the cam chain tension
  • Check the valve clearances. (I’ve already noted that these were not set properly)
  • Static timing
  • Sort out exhaust, my preference being 2 into 2
  • Carburetor rebuild/jetting
  • Dynamic timing w/timing light
  • Seals: clutch pushrod, sprocket, kick starter
  • New chain/sprockets
  • Charging system check

Have I missed anything? I am very much a newbie to the XS650’s so any comments suggestions are appreciated.

I don't think an early airbox will line up with the later linked carbs. I think they angle differently than the earlier separate carbs did.

I do have have a 78SE airbox left over from my hardtail build, but from what I've read there appears be various frame tweaks amongst the different years, so re-thinking out loud, I'm wondering if the later air boxes would be dimensionally compatible with the earlier frame... I guess I can give it a try...

I guess there is a balance to be struck with original over functional, but Is there an advantage to running an OEM airbox over a long-ish uni-pod filter?

You've wrangled a nice starting point. Your to-do list looks good too.
There are several fenders on e-bay now so replacement will be easy .

Early 70-73 batteries were smaller than the later74-84 650's so the Battery box dimensions were different as well.

Nice find and you look to be on top of it as well.

Is the engine number the same as the frame?

thx 650Skull... it is a numbers matching bike... lots to think about... maybe I'll start farting around with the later air box to see if it will fit... the smaller earlier battery box should help...

Last edited:
Good going so far, they say the long foam unipods are good subs for the air boxes, but if you can get air boxes to fit it, it's nice to be like factory.

You've wrangled a nice starting point. Your to-do list looks good too.
There are several fenders on e-bay now so replacement will be easy .

Thx for the heads up... Any idea on what years/models might be compatible?

That wrongly-angled finned side filter cover belongs on an XS1.
Let me know if you want to sell it...

And here I was thinking that this must have been part of the PO's aftermarket cheesiness... So much to learn ...

your oil cover is fine......it is cheesey though. it belongs on "got every chrome/alum polished doo-dad on my 8 over forked 240 rear tire, sky high sissy bar, look-at-me bike" .find a stock piece.
Please don't chop it. It is very complete. and my favorite color. Look up tcats build. It same year, looks stock, but intake is modified. very tasty.

I saw this bike on CL too, thought it may be a good candidate for a restomod, but alas, too slow. I think it is the same bike Brian at Bent bike had many years back. Hope the project goes well Oddjob.

2Many and weekendrider, thanks for the fender info... I think I still have an eBay account...

Angus... LOL... was going to post "too late" and post a random pic of a chopped up TX, but that might cause you to spill your beer, so yeah no intentions of chopping this one up...

Kiwi, Vancouver seems a long way from your name sake... the PO did make reference to it possibly being from Bent Bike, small world... The PO owner was trying for the cafe type look, hence the clubman bars and shorty shocks... I hope he did a good job with the mechanical work that he did put into it...

I did fart around with trying to fit the later airboxs, but there is no way in hell... So it will have to debut with long-ish pods... With time would like to bring this bike back to stock...

Last edited:
Watch out for those fender offerings. The 70-73 rear fenders are flat-sided with no mid-side-mounted protrusions and rubbers. All the offerings I looked at on eBay are for 74-up. But, if you're clever and skillful, I suppose you could cook-up some sort of retrofit...

Oddjob. The reasons I remember this bike was that oil filter cover, dual disc's, and that it is a very rare model in Vancouver. It was about 12 years back, and it also had Koni rear shocks, and a set of megaphones with "Paul Dunstall" name badges on them. Check with the guy you got it from to see if he still has the exhaust., and hang the mufflers on the wall. They are a piece of history. Anything with the Dunstall name brings back memories for me, had a Triumph T110 with a bunch of his go faster goodies attached. Oh yeah, Kiwi, spent the first half of my life down there, and call Vancouver home now for many years.

Back