Basket Case Bobber.

Pangolin9

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
22141285_10212228226753619_4860273818106183547_n.jpg

Greetings from a new member. I have been given a rusty hardtail basket case. I have just whats in the pictures and the engine side covers. I'm trying to get more of it from the previous owner, but it is a start. Having talked with a serious builder, and he estimated I could finish it for under 800, but I'm going to need a shop to rebuild the engine and trans because it's beyond my ability. Eventual plan is mini apes, springer seat and a pillion, and a PMA alternator which will probably cost more than the rest of the bike combined. This sort of is a dream come true but it is highly overwhelimg as well. I want it to be a complete rat bike, preserve the rust but keep it from spreading.

22141285_10212228226753619_4860273818106183547_n.jpg

Greetings from a new member. I have been given a rusty hardtail basket case. I have just whats in the pictures and the engine side covers. I'm trying to get more of it from the previous owner, but it is a start. Having talked with a serious builder, and he estimated I could finish it for under 800, but I'm going to need a shop to rebuild the engine and trans because it's beyond my ability. Eventual plan is mini apes, springer seat and a pillion, and a PMA alternator which will probably cost more than the rest of the bike combined. This sort of is a dream come true but it is highly overwhelimg as well. I want it to be a complete rat bike, preserve the rust but keep it from spreading.

Hi Pangilin9 and welcome,
unless your serious builder reckons on you having a parts bike handy to rob parts off, I don't see you finishing that bike for $800.
An optimist would put a 1 in front of that number while a pessimist would put a 0 behind it
And if you plan to have that engine unit professionally re-built the last quote I saw for that was $3K plus shipping.
Far less costly to buy a Clymer's manual and a set of metric wrenches.
While (unlike an early J.A.P sidevalve single) the XS650 power unit is not as simple as a stone axe it's simple enough
that the average amateur can easily work on it, so go for it.
And don't drink the PMA koolade. PMA's suck bigtime.

I’m in agreement, without having to have the engine rebuilt I’d say $800 was a stretch. The engine rebuild alone is gonna cost ya. There is a highly reputable garage shop in California that’s specializes in the xs, I’d talk to him first before pursuing and getting in a hole. Another option would be to find a good engine and swap it in, you could snag one for cheaper than paying for a rebuild.

Welcome to the forum Pangolin9. I'd have loved to have done my build for $800. I originally figured my budget to be around $1500 but there always seems to be "one more thing." I think I ended up around $2300 but boy was it worth it.

Greetings. Im afraid I agree with the others. I just don't see how you could get that back on the road for $800, not even if you use 2nd hand parts or buy another part bike. Just the engine rebuild alone would be your budget and then the rest! You have no idea whats inside that engine. It might all be out of spec. Then you gotta paint, fit a tank, electrics, seat, all the missing parts like engine mounts, fenders, footpegs and the rest. How old are those tyres... What you have there is good set of bones though. It could be done but I doubt for such a low budget.

As others have said the $800 budget won't get far. I would get at least the Clymer and/or Haynes books. I like the factory books myself. Can be found as downloads.
These engines are fairly simple and easy to work on. A few common hand tools, and a bit of time will be about the least expensive way to go.
It won't be quick but you will learn a lot and have the pride of doing it yourself.
This forum has a wealth of knowledge and helpful people to assist you in your project.
On your engine a few simple tests can help determine just how good it might be. A compression test will give you some idea of condition. On a fresh rebuild it can read as high as 165 psi. On a good used engine it runs around 145 psi. On an engine that has sat long it could be as low as 100 psi. Once up and running for a few milers the compression often comes up. The compression should be within 10% of each other.
I would pull the sump plate and look at the filter on it for tears and metal, plastic or rubber bits. Depending on what you find also tells you about the condiotion of the engine.
You may find that engine is in good shape and can run for years without any major work needed.
Up at the top of this page is a Tech button. This leads you to a listing of subjects about our XS650's. In there you will find links to threads about most everytong you need to know. Reading through them you will learn a lot.
Leo

Back