Battery arc-welding to seat

pslaughter

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,

So I was recently out on my bike when it lost all power. Took the seat off (not stock, fiberglass with a metal pan) and found the positive post had melted and tried to weld itself to the seat pan (stupidly left the rubber boot off!):yikes::doh:. Anyway, I'm going to replace the battery, as the lead is screwed, and I seem to have shorted at least one cell. My question is, could I have fried anything else?!? The ground post is super clean and there's no corrosion to be found...

Thanks!

-Paul

Probably not, but check your fuses. If you have removed the stock POS fuse panel, get yourself a chunk of 1/8" neoprene rubber to tie don on top of the battery or glue it on the bottom of your seat pan for insurance. If the pan is touching a normal size battery in a normal battery box, something is wrong, and your weight on the seat can push down and bust your battery case. I'd look into the clearance real hard. Batteries are not made for structural loads, least of all vertical compression loads.

Everything turned out fine, I went to the yami dealer close to where I broke down and got a new battery, turns out my local one sold me a battery that was too tall! The bike never had one in it when I bought it so I didn't have any reason to suspect.

That had to be scary. Hey JD- i was wanting to do what you said, put a chunk of rubber on the bottom of the seat pan. what kind of rubber would you suggest, and how to attach it?

Back