Battery Cable size?

Demorgan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello folks, from London, England! First post of many am sure, but bit of an emergency! i was on the way to work this morning when my '77, XSD just stopped dead at an intersection, I manged waddle to the side of the road where a quick inspection found that the main cable running from positive terminal on battery was broken and hanging by the original fabric sheathing! i pushed the damn thing back to a friends driveway but it has to be out of there by this eve... so, as temp measure to get me home (only few miles thankfully!) what size wire do i need? am not near any motor factors but there is a Maplins (Radio-shack) nearby, that do all sorts of wires cut to length...
Once home i can get some proper replacemant cabling..

ta!

At a guess, #6 or #4 stranded would be the right size.

Within reason, bigger is better as long as it physically fits under the seat and you can crimp appropriately sized terminals on it.

Many fine strands is better than fewer large strands. Welding cable is an example of the "many fine strands" approach. More flexible, less likely to break.

Thanks, but what i mean is what is max current draw, i guess on start-up, that cable will have to be rated for? i guess if use kick, i could get away with thinner wire?

If you are not going to use the electric starter then you could go as small as 14 Gauge or two lengths of 16 gauge in parallel.

I'll thumb nail the original as about #6 gauge. That worked for 35 years

I used 1/0 and grounded the battery to the frame in the rear...

Some say the mass of all the steel makes it a decent conductor but I've seen the ground wire run up to the motor block like Bob did with good results too..

Thanks guys, I rleaslised that Victory Motorcycles was within walksing distance (at a very brisk pace!) from my work, so popped down and got what i needed and all sorted.. but yes, i will also check the ground wireand replace if req...

Back