Battery charging question...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I have been guilty of neglect... both of my bike and this forum... because since I retired on June 1st, I have been so busy with shores and stuff.

Anyway, I think I have ridden the TX once since then. :( Then, she started and came off the choke nicely (this was sometime in June, I suspect). But today she was making only about 10-ish volts with the key/light on, and would not fire.

I tossed my little speed charger on there for about three hours or so - not long, I know - and when I went out to assuage my curiosity, she fired right up, but pooped out before coming off the choke, and would not re-start. My bar-mounted voltmeter indicated that the bike's charging system is working properly. She's back on the charger now.

Anyway, how long does it take an AGM battery to fully charge? Prior to this, this particular battery has not been any trouble. It's about two years old. But my busy summer has not been fair to either the bike or the battery.

And cheers, guys! Hope all are well!

TC

It should have came back up from 10 volts in as little as 4 hours. I keep my Battery Tender Plus rotated from bike to bike, so I've never experiencedd a "natural" discharge on a AGM. I have knocked them flat before by leaving the ignition on, and I guess I didn't pay any attention to how long it took to get it back, but it came back up, nonetheless. If you have a "smart" charger you can just leave it on overnight, but you said you had a speed charger. You might get a trickle-type charger and see if you can't bring it back up. Generally, if an AGM is devective, they give up pretty quick, so I think yours is probably good, and just needs a deep cycle charge, something like .6-.8 Amp-hour rate. Hope this helps.

jd, thanks for replying.

My charger is called a "Speed Charger", but it goes into "maintenance mode" as the battery charges. I left it on there overnight, so when the weather clears, I'll have to try it again. The bike was running beautifully before I let it sit so much, so a functionally discharged battery is hopefully the issue, especially since it fired right back up after a few hours charging, though it then died and would not restart.

Hopefully I will know more tomorrow when the rain clears.

Back