Battery dead?

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is one of those "it should be obvious" questions, but I thought I would double-check with you guys.

I have an AGM battery from Mikes that I bought Jan. 2012. A couple months ago my starter button broke so I got a new one, but electric start wouldn't even budge. So I figured maybe the whole switch was bad and have been kick starting ever since.

Well I've had issues with my battery and pretty sure it's not the charging system. I recall checking it not long ago.

Anyway I road a few days ago and when I check battery today it was around 10.5 volts. So I charge it pretty much near capacity and during the charge I would take it off to check and the volts would tick slowly downward. (This leads me to believe it isn't holding a charge but I give it the benefit of the doubt and continue)

So I put it on the bike, after getting fed of waiting for it to top off the charge. As soon as I turn the key, the voltage drops from 12ish to like 8-9. Bad sign. So I turn off key, back to 11.5-12 volts. Turn back on and click starter button....hear a whine, so I guess that means my switch is OK. Whine dies out and volts drops to around 8. Back up again as soon as key goes off.

Kick starts fine, but that electric just won't work. I interpret all of this as my battery is basically shot, as it can't handle the load and has been giving me issues. What do you guys think? I just wanted to ask for input before I shell out dough for a new battery.

Btw I am running a Pamco Ultimate, and I recently installed a LED taillight (which I love and highly recommend).

Also, random unrelated question, but can someone verify that the bolts that hold the oil sump assembly to the engine are indeed metric 6mm with 10mm head?

Last edited:
yes, that sounds like a battery.
that also sounds right on the oil bolts, but i'm not holding them in my hand right now.

Yes, the battery is dead. Yes, the sump bolts are the size you mentioned.

Mikesxs is known for selling sub-standard parts. It has been very common to hear of their AGM batteries failing in less than a year.

As a matter of fact, I had a neighbour here in Calgary that thought his starter motor was bad, on his XS650, and asked me to have a look at it. He said the starter just clicked. The first question I asked, was if his battery was in good condition. He said it must be a good battery, because he had bought an AGM from Mikesxs, just one year ago. When I swapped the 7 year old lead/acid battery from my bike into his bike, his starter fired up his engine with no problem at all. His "new" Mikesxs AGM was kaput.

Of course any battery will die if your charging system is not putting out 14.1 volts. Also letting a battery sit for long spells, without an occasional charging, is bad for them.

Back