battery eliminator capacitor problems

650ccdeathtrap

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm newto this forum thing so please be patient and here goes. I have a 76 xs and I am running it with a tc bros battery eliminator capacitor and it ran great for about a week and then it died because my capacitor and coul was fried. I then replaced the parts and it ran well for another week and then the same thing. Any suggestions?

Stock charging system? Inline fuses? I'd hafta see your wiring.
I would have to get a pic in the morning but I am using an aftermarket pma with a 15 amp inline fuse to the capacitor, as well as a fuse box for accessoties which is mounted to the rear fender and the bike is lowered so it does bottom out occasionally

Did you wire the bike yourself? Could you post a picture of the diagram you used? Might be the easiest way to show everyone how you have it set up currently.

Yeah, I'd def need to see a wiring diagram or picture of sorts. Break it down in sections. Start at PMA with a DMM and check towards the capacitor. Capacitors store energy, so maybe some kinda excessive surge? Hard to tell. I've wired two kick start only in the last year. One I had to use a small .8 amh battery to run lights. My memory sucks so if hafta go look to see how I wired them.

Start here, how closely does this match the way you have it wired?

dq0Ob9v.jpg

Start here, how closely does this match the way you have it wired?

dq0Ob9v.jpg
It is almost exact except for a neutral light and the kill switch is run through the head light so I can have a start up sequence but I did not wire it. There are 20 amp fuses for the headlight and taillight and I'm pretty sure no fuse to coil. I will have to go check,it is at the shop right now

Back