Battery is being overcharged..

I don't know what headlight you have, but I suggest you install the highest wattage low beam headlight that you can buy. Maybe that is 55 watts,I don't know, but try to buy higher than that. Your PMA regulator is having a hard time to keep the voltage down. Also use a regular #1157 bulb in the tail light. Don't use an LED tail light. If your PMA is producing 200 watts at 4000 rpm, you want the bike to consume as much of that 200 watts as possible.
I bought a 55 watt halogen bulb from mikesxs.net my first year of problems, so the bulb was never a factor....i am fully aware however that the installation of this PMA kit has left many unsed plugs of the original factory harness. Is it entirely possible at all that maybe, just maybe the headlight nit being operable is the reason while there is a 14.9 volt charge in the battery? Could the absence of this load be the deciding factor in what is cause the excess voltage in the battery?

As I said previously, if you have a 200 watt PMA, its very important that your bike consume as much of that 200 watts as possible. If your bike only consumes say 120 watts, as an example, that means the regulator has to dissipate 80 watts as heat. Some poor quality regulators struggle to do that, and fail as a result.
You must keep the headlight on, all the time the engine is running.

The PMA sellers don't tell the buyers that you need to run as much wattage on the bike as possible. Many lads think its cool to go high tech and install LED lights on their bikes. That is exactly the wrong thing to do if you have a PMA. Now, if you stay with the stock alternator and regulator system, reducing the loads with LEDs is a very good thing to do, because the stock system's regulator simply reduces the current in the rotor.
The stock alternator system is more efficient, with no wasted power rejected as heat to the environment.

So it would appear to me that your suggesting that i shell out an additional 450 bucks for a new rotor, stator case, voltage regulator, and then more money on led bulbs to potentially solve this problem once and for all?

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just telling you how these different electrical systems work. I offer free advice. Its up to you to decide what is best for your circumstances. You've made quite a few mistakes, with what you have been buying for your bike, and its been costly. Myself and quite a few other lads on this site, use the stock alternator, along with automotive regulators and more modern rectifiers. We spend very little money and have very reliable electrical systems. I hope that you will educate yourself about the electrical system on these bikes and make informed decisions.

All this time i thought i WAS making informed decisions, based on what i read here, various stories told by other riders, countless hours of research, and still attempts at throwing money at this bike in hopes of making it move again...as i dtated before i tried atock, ive now tried an upgrade...and am now no further ahead, and in fact much furher behind than when i started...so again i ask, am i to just keep spending money every couple of weeks to keep replacing continuously failing parts? There is no where else for me to buy any of the parts i need to make this bike run properly, as some if the other suppliers have their horror stories pertaining to their products too...so im left with a decision spend money every week replacing the same parts over and over again, or soend money week after week in a new supplier with the glim hope if maybe using my bike again? This has become a major issue..as ive stated before, looks like my riding days are over for good

Go back over your old threads...............You have been given excellent advice and every one of your threads petered out due to your lack of involvement............

To say you have bought multiple stators, rotors on advice from here is wrong by your own word in these earlier posts.............Problems have arisen due to your bad fitment of such parts which has damaged other non replaceable parts...................You keep saying you have no electrical skills then buy and fit a Mikes PMA system and a Pamco system without coming on here and asking for help and yuo state they had no instructions.................i posted a screen shot and gave detailed instructions on where the instructions for the PMA and Pamco can be found at MikesXS.

Blaming others and repeatedly coming on here complaining about the same thing time and time again is................well.

Others and myself have given you all the information and links to threads on hows to tutorials for your problems................maybe you need to look at what you are doing and if you are the type of person who has the patience and understanding to have, and deal with an old bike and associated problems they bring.

Quote:
".as i dtated before i tried atock, ive now tried an upgrade...and am now no further ahead, and in fact much furher behind than when i started"
Who ever told you that PMAs are an upgrade? Are you listening to all of that marketing hyperbole that Mikesxs, HHB and TC bros have on their sites? You just don't get it. A PMA is not an upgrade. At best its an alternative charging system.

This site has solutions to make the stock charging system work, and most lads that do it are successful. In my opinion, the fact that you have been unable to get a stock charging system to work, means you just don't have the ability to do so. Time to move on to another hobby/sport.

Go back over your old threads...............You have been given excellent advice and every one of your threads petered out due to your

To say you have bought multiple stators, rotors on advice from here is wrong by your own word in these earlier posts.............Problems have arisen due to your bad fitment of such parts which has damaged other non replaceable parts...................You keep saying you have no electrical skills then buy and fit a Mikes PMA system and a Pamco system without coming on here and asking for help and yuo state they had no instructions.................i posted a screen shot and gave detailed instructions on where the instructions for the PMA and Pamco can be found at MikesXS.

Blaming others and repeatedly coming on here complaining about the same thing time and time again is................well.

Others and myself have given you all the information and links to threads on hows to tutorials for your problems................maybe you need to look at what you are doing and if you are the type of person who has the patience and understanding to have, and deal with an old bike and associated problems they bring.

Wow, thanks for making me.feel like garbage, but i want to tell you that i DID in fact visit this site mulitple times fornthe period of two weeks to magke aure that everytbing was installed correctly...and since you want to throw in my face about not following instructions on this site, your very very wrong..i followed every single instruction on this site and mikesxs.net while installing these components...literally as i was turningnthe screws...do not ever, ever claim that i havent read or follow instructions...i have, step by single step and now i m hee still asking for help and im being told.in not so many words to take along walk off a short pier...again thanks for sungle handedly ruining my experience in this site, and riding in general.

How do you think it makes us feel when your saying the advice from here was the reason for you purchase of several rotor/stators based on our say so ..............no........... not on our say so, you say you were instructed............... Yes there was advice telling you where to buy an obsolete part, information on such part and how a TCI Stator cannot be bought with the TCI pickup, (obsolete part), as part of a new purchase

Not intended to make you feel shit................Just correcting some alternative facts..............

27-June-2014.........From this thread.. http://www.xs650.com/threads/no-start-help.36309/ 2 days after registration
post #3..........Welllll i have spent an insanely large amount of money on my 81 to fix a charging problem, finally think i have that handled, well i thought, i installed a fourth alt. rotor (mikesxs) but somehow it wasnt on fully andit chewed up the black box at 12o clock on my stator housing and also melted plastic on the black thing and left some melted plastic on my rotor...............ect, ect

Check your previous comments 3 years ago against this one today

This thread post #10................well retiredgentleman, i purchased the bike about 3 years ago, under the pretense that all this bike needed was a new alternator rotor, i then, in turn, purchased said item fo the sum of $150.00 from mikesxs.net as per the instructions of the previous owner. Upon the failure of the first rotor, i then turned to this site for help, and recieved it in the form of instructions to purchase yet another rotor from mikesxs.com and yet again, the rotor in turn failed. I turned again to the help from experienced members such as yourselves from this site, who then further instructed me to purchased a new rotor and stator case, ........ect, ect

Yes and i see what your saying, i did in fact follow ADVICE aka instructions at that time to purchase the failed components, and clearly you didnt catch the part where i said NEW as in never been installed on this bike ever since it was produced from whatever factory it came.out of....not my fault i did not make the part(s).....i cant take the blame that for every single part i have purchased or paid for whether through mikesxs.net or the servi es rendered from a licensed motorcycle repair shop, has failed... but to blatenly call me out and tell me that i did not follow the instructions i was given to try and correct this problem is wring and hurtful...if i am not welcome here then say so, i have turn to this site numerous times over that last three years clearly for this exact problem or similarly related issues and everytime i get told that im not following directions, instructions or what have you, it sounds to me like this site does not want to help anyone other than people who live i nthe same zip code as one another all i have been asking for is advice and have been getting it, been following and still getting noweherr, and now i have people telling me i dont knownwha im doing and that i need to pay attetion to whatcim being told and what to do...until someone is standing in my garage pointing out exactly where i screwing everything up, they have no right to tell me what i am ir am not following or doing, i have followed every single piece of advice or testing procedure given to me by fellow members of this site, and still no reliable bike, so again i say if i am not wlecome to come here and ask for help then remove my membership and block me, i refuse to be ridiculed by people who are not here in my garage helping me to fix this.

And btw i never said that THE reason my parts failed.on this bike WAS because of advice followed by your members, what i said was that after following advice from members of this site, im still without a bike...never once did i ever lay blame.of my bad components on single.single.person on this forum...i AM however staying that i habe repeatedly returned to tbis site for help in diagnosing my.problem, and in short i have been told that my best option is to return to stock components and continue to replace them week after week..furthermore i have made it very clear that i was not directed or adviced by any memeber of this site to purchase the PMA kit in question, i very simply made a statement about havin ghad to purchase this setup in an attempt to fix this issue once and for all

Bart . I commend you on your want to get this thing going right once and for all and not giving up and not giving it away broken...I can relate to that, that is very good why saddle another with your problem ! your a good person for that.... thank you
Lets Not get Pissed off here guys ...this has been an on-going and very dificult problem to fix... OBVIOUSLY .
so NOW I AM ASKING what do you learned guys sujest is the best corse of action here ? I threw out the only thing I could think of that would cause the failures but it seams no one even noticed a ground to the frame in the wiring harnis granted it's very unlikely but so is consitavite altenator failures !
what about the extra wires Bart mentioned that are not hooked up ? that doesn't sound right at all !
we have come to the point where the fix to make it run again has been covered but the cause of the failure is unknown.... and unless the cause of the failure is discovered it will simply fail again..... so what takes out an altenator ?....
lets hash that out and quit pointing fingers at one another and figure it out !
Bob..........

Bob, after you have been a member here for awhile you might come to understand that it is not your job, my job, or the forum's collective job to tell any member what to do. It's up to anyone posting a question to evaluate the responses he gets and to do further research. Plenty has been posted on the flaws of the Chiwanese PMA systems sold by Mike's XS. Opie went and bought one anyway. Plenty has been written, by myself and others, on problems inherent to PMA systems with load dump regulators. Either Opie chose not to search, find, and read, or he chose not to believe what he read.

Bob and Opie, here's what is: You're going to read a lot of claims on a forum like this. Some claims will be made by people who know and some will be made by people who guess or invent. Some claims will be based on experience and training, some will be based on daydream and fantasy. It's up to you to figure out who's who and do your own vetting.

Now listen up, man up, and stop your whining. Your problem is not the alternator--right now, anyway. It's either your meter or your regulator/rectifier.

Hay Grizld1 : OK point taken ! and thank you for putting it the way you did without resorting to name calling or abuse .... You can do it!
.... I like to help, I want to help.....and I will continue to help if I can. I will try to bite my toung , try not tell hotheads to shut T.F.U. even though they deserve it. and Not fear that their running off a newbee ....because it looks like 90 percent come and go very quickly anyway.
its a strange way to run a forum and takes a while to get used to it.....
Bob.......

Hay Grizld1 : OK point taken ! and thank you for putting it the way you did without resorting to name calling or abuse .... You can do it!
.... I like to help, I want to help.....and I will continue to help if I can. I will try to bite my toung , try not tell hotheads to shut T.F.U. even though they deserve it. and Not fear that their running off a newbee ....because it looks like 90 percent come and go very quickly anyway.
its a strange way to run a forum and takes a while to get used to it.....
Bob.......
Just want to clear the air as I know I fit into the category your speaking of. But you'll find that behavior rare from me, I like to be as welcoming as possible to new members. Occasionally a certain long time member likes to be rude and I'm not gonna remain quiet when he does.....

I couldn't agree more figure8 ! but it seams as though its ok with the administrator of the site so I guess it is supposed to be fine with the members...... on my site I had for years he would have been given 3 warnings then banned with no explination given, they know by then why..... but this isn't that site, nore do I run it... So when in Rome do what the Romans do ...... ignore it !
Bob........

Strange way to run a forum, is it, Bob? OK, just how do you propose to run it? Should we run off any member who posts misinformation, disinformation, or plain crap? And just who's going to play cop in that enforcement program? Anyone who takes the trouble to read extensively will get a handle on who's who. Yeah, that takes some time and thought; but if guys aren't willing to invest that time and thought and expect to have all their problems solved for the asking and served up on a silver platter, they should forget about the old bike hobby and take up knitting.

BTW, pull the perforated plate off your breather box assembly and have a look at that thing behind it that you took for a reed valve. It's an angled baffle plate, and it doesn't move. Should we designate an accuracy cop to run you off for posting what you did? I wouldn't want to do that; but since you have such a clear idea about how strange ways should be fixed, what do you think?

He's right about who's who around here, I post a lot but am no means an expert. There's a long list of members who are %1000 more knowledgeable than I. This forum has helped me tremendously so I try to help where and when I can. If I'm wrong about something and get corrected that's no issue with me.

8, you've made some fine contributions. Let's remember that nobody, and I mean nobody, gets it 100% right 100% of the time; members are responsible for choosing what and whom to believe, and Travis does a great job as administrator. As regards guys who get crusty from time to time: Folks, if you're offended, man up and grow some hide! If you're thin skinned you shouldn't mess with this stuff anyway, you might hurt yourself. Skull, keep doing what you do, somebody has to keep these bastards honest!

Last edited:
I for one would be the cop.... freely and honnestly, but you wouldn't like my method I think..... for one I would not take action against inaccurate information in the slightest ..as we ALL are still learning..... its the fight starters and bad attitudes that I would attempt to control
because they are the ones that spoil the site for so many others..... Language I would not bother with as well.... because it's language and shows personality and character....and being a free forum it shouldn't matter if I say Damm or shit.... or even spell it wrong..... writing edicate is not on trial here....... behaviour IS or in my mind SHOULD be simply because, if you leave man to his own devices he will degrade anything possable ! that includes this forum..... but Hay if no body cares then what the heck ! just use it till it gets so bad you can't stand it any more and go somewhere else ...
I never said Travis was doing a poor job , nore did I imply it.... you did , trying to make me Look like I don't like Travis's methods I said it was strange..... meaning NOT THE NORM.....
and so You have me doing what I hate the most in a forum bitching back and forth ... I will not play this game with you or others
have a good day Griz.....
Bob.....

Back