Battery is dead

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have been a bit perplexed I have been riding my bike around for the last few months and its running great. I rode my bike to work today and came out to go home and the battery is dead ( this same thing happened about a month ago). I am positive I didn't leave the ignition switch on. Bad batter? ( probably not just got it last year) so I assume I need to test it to see if its charging. Anybody have any helpful tips on how to do this? I need to bust out a multi meter and start testing I am not that great at electrical issues and tips or advice would really help me out here. Also I have a 1975 XS 650 does any one know the positions of the ignition switch? There is a middle a left and a right postion which position is off? Thanks again

Stvr
:doh:

Off is all the way to the left, the center is on, the right is the park position, it just lights the tail light so you won't get hit if you stop on the road side at night.
If you go up to near the top of the page, you will find an XS650 TECH button, this leads you to the XS650 Tech Section, Scroll down to Electrical, find the thread about "Charging System Troubleshooting Guide".
Follow the steps and you will find the problem and how to fix it.
First thing you need to do is determine if it has a problem. Hook your multi-meter to the battery. what's the voltage? If below 12 volts you should recharge it. DON'T use a car charger. It puts out to high a current and will damage your battery. Get a motorcycle type charger. Wal Mart sells a good one, don't recall the model but it's a Schumacher, $20, it has a motorcycle right on the box.
Once you get the battery charged, the bike should start. What is the battery voltage at idle? What is the voltage at higher rpms like 2000 and 5000.
Idle anywhere from 12 to 13 volts is normal, now rev the engine slowly by 2000 rpms the voltage should come up to over 14 volts, 14.2 to 14.5 is good, Now as the revs increase it should not go higher.
If your voltage is low follow the guide.
Leo

Back