Battery Questions

cabmkr

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So right now my motor is a total loss system with a Pamco ignition (building the bike and that's how this motor was set up) with a car battery with 12.5 volts the bike starts right up...1 or two kicks. I also built a 2400ma NiCad battery with 12.8 volts and it wont fire (but appears to have spark) Thoughts?

Cheers, Chris

NiCads are 1.2v per cell. How many cells did you use?

NiCads are also low impedance, can deliver plenty of current.
Unless they experienced excessive heat during solder assembly...

I used 1 7.2 packs wired in series, so technically 14.4 volts but they are a few years old, they are at about 13.5 volts after I had them on the charger for an hour.

I did find a Capacitor 19000 uF that should work in place of the battery, and my PMA should show up in the mail today

Those NiCad packs sound dead. If they won't hold their nominal voltage, they're no good. Could be a dead cell in the packs. Measure their voltage output on a 3-4amp draw, if they'll push that much. Probably too low...

Thanks on that, one of my guys are work is into quad (drones) he figured the same thing. Good news is my new charging system just showed up.

...with a car battery with 12.5 volts the bike starts right up...1 or two kicks...

That's the all-important first test, and it passed.
Do the same thing after PMA install, Pamco on its own battery, to check PMA voltage output.
If it's stable around 14 volts, then hookup your ignition normally...

Back