Battery Status Indicator

thelowlife

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm an electrician and instrumentation techonlogist by trade and I've been playing around with the idea of creating a small battery status indicator circuit This circuit could be useful to indicate simply and easily if the bike is charging or not, and to quickly check you battery status after periods of inactivity or for peace of mind. I'll make is small enough to put inside a small project box and can be mounted easily to your bike.

It will consist of a 10 LED light bar (5 green, 3 orange, 2 red). Each LED that is lit up will be within a certain adjusted range that you can either specify or I can create a standard for, as an example all lights would indicate a 13.5 volts (indicating when bike is running and charging properly), everything but one green light can indicate 12 volts when bike is not running, and any other combination will obviously indicate a lower voltage.

As an option I could put a momentary push button to reduce current drain, and only light the LED bar when a status check is required.

I haven't worked out the specific logistics or created my prototype but I was just wondering if there would be any interest in this little circuit. If there proves to be enough interest I might be able to make this available for cost of parts, which is a couple dollars. I just figured that this simple circuit could help a lot of people worrying about their battery and charging systems, and potentially catch an issue before it becomes a huge problem.

So is there any real wishes or interest in something like this or waste of time?

As I'm using a tiny .8ah battery I want to monitor my charging system until do a PMA conversion. I was thinking of researching and making something like this myself. I was going to do something more simple/small, though. Maybe 2-3 LEDs, extremely small cluster on the tree. How much current would something like this draw? Obviously the nominal draw from the LEDs, plus... ???

I built a stripped down version of an LED voltmeter that only lights the LED if the battery voltage goes below 12V. With Google, found the original circuit designed by Jong Hau (http://jhau.maliwi.de/mot/voltmeter.html) which indicated both over and under voltages. I modified it to only show low voltage.

Found all the components in my junk box, circuit boarded it and encapsulated it with hot glue in a cut down 35mm film container. Stuck it into my headlight pod, found a ground and a switched +12v to connect it to. Brought out the lead for the LED from the pod, and mounted it on a plastic tab with I secured with one of the "console" screws (see pics).

I haven't run it for long, but it seems to be working ok. Basically if the LED comes on while you are driving, your charging system isn't up to snuff and you are running on battery. Time to turn around and head home before you battery dies.

It is normal for the LED to light when you are using the starter though, since your battery normally drops below 12 volts when cranking.

Attachments

• original Jorg Hau circuit.jpg
    original Jorg Hau circuit.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 109
  • modified to show only low voltage.jpg
    modified to show only low voltage.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 101
  • encapsulate.jpg
    encapsulate.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 103
  • mounting tab.jpg
    mounting tab.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 128
I'm an electrician and instrumentation techonlogist by trade and I've been playing around with the idea of creating a small battery status indicator circuit This circuit could be useful to indicate simply and easily if the bike is charging or not, and to quickly check you battery status after periods of inactivity or for peace of mind. I'll make is small enough to put inside a small project box and can be mounted easily to your bike.

It will consist of a 10 LED light bar (5 green, 3 orange, 2 red). Each LED that is lit up will be within a certain adjusted range that you can either specify or I can create a standard for, as an example all lights would indicate a 13.5 volts (indicating when bike is running and charging properly), everything but one green light can indicate 12 volts when bike is not running, and any other combination will obviously indicate a lower voltage.

As an option I could put a momentary push button to reduce current drain, and only light the LED bar when a status check is required.

I haven't worked out the specific logistics or created my prototype but I was just wondering if there would be any interest in this little circuit. If there proves to be enough interest I might be able to make this available for cost of parts, which is a couple dollars. I just figured that this simple circuit could help a lot of people worrying about their battery and charging systems, and potentially catch an issue before it becomes a huge problem.

So is there any real wishes or interest in something like this or waste of time?

Design it so that it could be used on lots of different bikes and it just might sell.

I'm not really looking to make money off it per-say just trying to make something that could be helpful to the community charging any money would basically be for the parts and postage. Help eliminate a lot of the grey areas with "Is my charging system working?" "Is my battery shot?". The circuit that I've designed is adjustable between 0-20V so it is a little more versatile and can even be used in vechiles.

I can adjust the circuit to fit 3 LEDs, 1 LED, whatever is needed. The chipset that I use can drive max of 20 LEDS if the need arises. So being able to run 3 LEDs in the tree is not an issue. The reason I use the chipset that I use and my circuit design is because it has a reduced current draw.

I just figured using a 10 bar LED in a small project box ontop of or near the battery itself wouldn't look too cluttered (considering you have a massive battery there anyways).

I'll post up a completed circuit to drum up a little more intrest just so you folks can see what is capable.

thelowlife;

I use an analog voltmeter, because its not expensive, and gives the information to tell you if the alternator/rectifier/voltage regulator are starting to fail.

There's also lots of digital voltmeters and LED voltage indicators already on the market.

I don't want to discourage your effort, so if you enjoy the project, go for it, and show us a working model.

Perhaps if you build a low cost, simple unit, there could be a market for it.

Back