Battery tenders

rainycity

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I`m in the market for another battery tender so I dont have to keep switching the dang thing back and forth but I`m not so sure I want the same kind I have now.
Anybody recommend one over another?
I do want another one where I can connect it to the battery and just plug in.

I have a couple Schumacher brand chargers. SEM 1562A, I get them at Wal Mart for around $20. They work the same as the battery tenders but don't cost as much. They come with two ends, one has clamps like most chargers and one piece you hook to the battery to plug into. Extra ends that hook to the battery can be bought for around $10 or less, don't recall right of the top of my head.
Leo

A true battery charger / tender will initially charge the battery to 14.5 Volts and then switch to the tender mode which means that it will maintain the battery voltage to 13.1 Volts, which is like a neutral gear. At 13.1 Volts, the battery neither charges nor discharges, there is no chemical activity and it should stay neutral for an indefinite period.

I've got a couple of BatteryMinders like these although mine are older versions (they just look a little different). I keep the bike batteries as well as a few auto batteries on them. I got them for the "Desulfator" feature. They seem to work OK. No complaints but I do have a question for the electrical guru's out there. The clip (usually the positive one) will eat away like it's been in acid even though the posts seem clean. Any idea as to why?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200589669_200589669

Mike

I keep these on the peg board I put on all my 12 volt "stuff", makes it easy to make the rounds of the shed a couple times a winter. Thanks for the reminder, I'm due to make the second round! Also gives you a fused accessory terminal for phone, gps, heated clothes..., just remember it's "always on".

...The clip (usually the positive one) will eat away like it's been in acid even though the posts seem clean. Any idea as to why?

Yeah, seen a lot of that. Especially at the shop's battery bench, where batteries would be serviced/charged/recharged, ...etc. Has to do with the deep and dark galvanic world of cathodic/ionic/covalent bonds, the affinity of the (+) side for electrons, and the presense of moist/acid vapors in the region.

You can fogspray the battery clips with an aerosol oil to reduce that...

Back