Batteryless bike with gps/electronic speedometer?

Shelly

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have lurked behind the scenes for quite sometime reading and following along to different threads. I must add this is a very informative site with many knowledgeable people adding input where they can!

The first newbie question I'd like to ask is: Is anyone running a GPS/Electronic speedo (Acewell, daytona, speedhut etc..) with batteryless system? Will the perameters or mileage within the gauge save once power is killed to the bike? I'd like to stay away from a cable driven gauge to simplify the front end and eliminate as much "clutter" as possible. My intent is also to run bar end signal lights, head light, tail light and possibly a charge port for phone. All while hiding my wiring via frame and one of Iron Heart Cycles mini E-box in place of the starter.

Forgive me if this has been answered previously, I could not find an answer. I am assuming I am out of luck and will have to run a cable driven speedo.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Gary.
Could I have you elaborate on your reason to run the small battery over a capacitor?

Hi Shelly and welcome,
what this old fart reckons is that electronic stuff is happier running on clean 12Volts from a battery than running on a capacitor's nasty spiky version of it.

Fred is on it! Also electric stuff powers up before the engine starts.

Last edited:
The GPS Speedos that I have used(Chinese and speedhut) keep their memory even with no battery hooked up. My car sat for 6 months with no battery and the Speedo still remembers the top speed.

I could run an on/off switch to toggle on instruments once the bike is powered up at idle, although that only saves from the initial kick start surge. I'm assuming low idle flickers lights/ electronics as well.. See I have never actually had my bike running before lol

The only problem is with the cap holding charge and when you rev past the low voltage from the reg/rec there can be very small spikes in voltage also at idle. I have run caps from way back in the 70's on triumph and bsa 650.and use to from time to time blow lights because of the low voltage at idle and then the fast charge after 2000 rpm. I have done a couple sprax caps on xs650 but never had good luck with them for long life. If you are running a stock alternator and reg/rec it will work but for how long.Rrunning at night lights dim at idle or twinkle because of low voltage. I ran a cap on a bike and also put a very small backup moped battery on bike and that worked because the voltage was always steady.

I haven't had a capacitor last long. Vibration. Even the spring mounted Sparx. Best setup Ive found is the Antigravity lithium. (Bang for the buck) Even this is expensive. You will also need the different reg/rec to protect from excessive voltage. The litium charger too. About $200 for everything if memory serves. I found myself buying a new capacitor every year. A new SLA battery every so often. One day said "phuk it" and bought the antigravity setup. It's been fine two years now. The Morris magneto seems to be the way to go but the sum bitch is $1000.00. Hahaha!

Well this whole thing is a learning curve for sure, lots to think about. I may forget about fancy electronics for the time being and run old school with halogen lighting and cable driven speedo. See how the cap does and go from there. Maybe find a small battery to wire along with the cap just to clean up the voltage. Battery doesnt have to be anything crazy im thinking. Full ignition system and PMA is going to be upgraded as I am rephasing as well.

Back