BC XS650 bobber/chopper build

Great job! I bought a 78 650 special back in 2013 for $800 that ran good but much better when I added Mikuni VM34's. I am currently contemplating a TC Bros hardtail, but leaning towards the Monstercraftsman Brat kit. I like the tank you built. Reminds me of a Triumph tank. I considered that too because I love the triumph bobbers, but I went with a sporty tank. I like your fender too.

:cheers: XSsesive, that Monstercraftsmen kit looks nice... they make some good stuff

So this weekend was a little bit on the slow side... decided to address the seat mounting... the La Rosa seat is nice, but the stud angle is wrong for how I'm trying to use the seat...

Nothing beats taking the grinder to a brand new part... :D

v89ie8eeKxLcxN9KkCo1BbzIPsXyS5o2bIAX=w1240-h698-no.jpg

Ended up fabricating and riveting 11ga sheet metal adapters to correct the stud angle.

PZ69HfZlLkqVOraT2V6djx-Pp9g9v_buLz-e=w1240-h698-no.jpg

Didn't get a chance to do much on the bike this weekend, but I did sneak in a few heartbeats on the electrical enclosure... I'm not sure how hot stuff like the regulator or rectifier gets, but I thought keeping the enclosure open might be beneficial in keeping temps down...

PtEr8O2wlcuAs_XA49IHpIvpzkmdJaYUDMXk=w1320-h743-no.jpg

It's been a slow go as I was distracted by some new additions to the shop...

rh6G6GQ5GAj6YkACjATMWOPfpsnGWo25avVf=w1240-h698-no.jpg

HYIyPvOboFPMY9XB_5JlhnMJd9nwqjZBT-SG=w1240-h698-no.jpg

It turns out that creating endless amounts of metal shavings can be somewhat therapeutic, but eats up a lot of time... :D:D

In keeping with the old school look, I started fabricating a rack to help fill out the back of the bike... Still need to finalize the mounting...

5M4na9JbWS5jyZZokkvza9ns7pD4xZCw0HXf=w1240-h698-no.jpg

For the front of the bike, and drawing on inspiration from the BMW's, Urals, and Brit bikes of yesteryear, I decided to go with the big headlight with the integrated speedometer...

The mounting arrangement needs a bit of work...:D

AGzhxlxuL97_ZkY9VLhptvdNlPQbGPydeeWM=w1240-h698-no.jpg

General update, got the rack done... fabbed up a license plate holder

lraj93.jpg

CpvyDm.jpg

Headlight mount...

qRNVRq.jpg

L46eNS.jpg

zTS0JI.jpg

Dimly lit shop, spring time in Vancouver, BC :D

3Ac42U.jpg

Last edited:
Minor update - bought and ended up spending a bit of time modifying Lowbrows 35mm fork shrouds. They were meant for 35mm Sportster/Narrow glide forks so I knew that I would end having to modify them...

I ended up having to move the opening down by 12.7mm, and widening the opening by 6.35mm :D

JoJ1JV.jpg

ZtFAi8.jpg

Also had to make an "L" shaped mounting tab.

rt5ZUI.jpg

A bit of work, but I think it cleans up the front end quite a bit.

CEKwTQ.jpg

Really like the rack, headlight and fork shrouds, nice different look and the rack will be functional. How do you like the lathe? How much and where did you get the lathe?

Scott

thx Scott,

The lathe is a Chinese SIEG-C2 mini lathe, the mill is SIEG-X2 mini mill... both of which have been re-branded by many retailers for the North American market.

I bought the set lightly used, locally for 1200 CDN, which included about ~500 or so in tooling. It's not unusual to see these new online for about 5-700 USD each.

Both the lathe and mill have become one of those "how did I do it before without them" type of tools. The ability to face, turn to a shoulder, drill on center is highly underrated. The mill is fantastic for coping tubing/round bar, slotting, or placing holes accurately inline.

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread… I took most of May and June off with family vacations, kids, and lots of other distractions working their way into life…

Earlier this month I started wiring the bike and got it to the point where it turns over and produces a healthy spark… It’s a little tighter than I was hoping for inside the enclosure as I was using all the OEM 78 components…

ft9XVT.jpg

CzKWgs.jpg

One of said distractions… LOL

GnQg3q.jpg

Decided to break down the bike to weld the frame and paint. Went a little overboard on the engine removal jig, although it got the job done…

0yjPtG.jpg

tMHfAW.jpg

I’m not sure what others peoples experiences are, but it really looks like it will be impossible to install the engine without tagging/scratching the frame… :umm:

:cheers:

Hi Oddjob,
a scratch free assembly is not quite impossible. Effin' difficult though.
Your best "helper" would be the split tube insulation foam rubber that plumbers use on hot water pipes.
Perhaps you can help with a question of mine?
I've always said that someone who hardtails a bike must be a closet masochist.
And your recent post shows you now have both a normal rear-suspended XS650 AND an XS650 Hardtail.
When you have both of them on the road I'd be pleased to read a side by side ride comfort comparison.

Love the craftsmanship. Any info on that headlight?

Are you running the full harness from 78'? If so, you could probably create some extra room in your electrical enclosure by cutting out some of the "good ideas of the 70's" from your harness.

Hey Fred,

I’m sure that a better definition of masochist might be: he who endeavors to finish other person’s basket cases, or abandoned projects

The 73TX was bought as a "parts" bike, so I’m not doing anything on it until I can get the registration papers for it.

Just going by the amount of seat travel, the 73 doesn’t seem to have more travel than the long springs on the hard tail seat… I’m sure that it is a lot more involved than that, so yeah we’ll see… I’m actually quite liking the look of the 73…

Pete,

The headlight is from Carpy’s Cafe Racers… the mounting frame is custom and attaches to where the instrument cluster used to attach to…

http://carpyscaferacers.com/shop/sh...rts-upgrades/universal-headlight-with-speedo/

I’m not running a full harness... the only things that are in the box are the regulator, rectifier, mini fuse block, ignition switch, starter relay, and in the future a trailer wiring module… I could probably save some space with a combined regulator/rectifier, but man you need some small hands to get in there…

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the headlight.
I don't have any further suggestions on your harness. Just making sure you weren't putting in extra work to keep the light checker or reserve lighting unit in there.

WOW time flies… it’s been a while since an update…

The frame has been finish welded and painted… the motor cleaned up… the steering bearings replaced…

IQslXe.jpg

fFJsvh.jpg

The tins have been painted…

UmluBm.jpg

Decided to chrome some of the miscellaneous bits…

8m4JYl.jpg

Hoping to do most of the assembly this long weekend, to ironically get it back to where it was in mid-July...

Well, I just wrote a post which sort of slagged off choppers - but OddJob, your work is really nice. I especially like that scalloped tank - beautifully executed.

Pete

I like what you did so far, anxious to see the finished product. Can you tell me what gauge steel you used for the fuel tank scallops? Do you have a template of what you did? I have an extra tank that I would like to attempt to do the scallops.

Well, I just wrote a post which sort of slagged off choppers - but OddJob, your work is really nice. I especially like that scalloped tank - beautifully executed.

Pete

thx MaxPete... funny, I was drawn to this site because of some of the nice chopper builds on here... but after a while, I took to liking the early XS's, so I bought an unmolested 73... definitely room or both in my garage...

I like what you did so far, anxious to see the finished product. Can you tell me what gauge steel you used for the fuel tank scallops? Do you have a template of what you did? I have an extra tank that I would like to attempt to do the scallops.

Hi Zero, as far as the scallops on the tank, I tried to show a little bit of what was involved in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/honey-i-shrunk-the-tank.43981/

I didn't use a template per se... basically I chose an overall length that would work with my application. After shortening the tank, I cut the scallops such that I still had some emblem area left, and made them deep enough so that I got rid of the edge crease that resulted as I bent the top skin down. I fitted cardboard to the opening and tweaked the opening until the scallop walls were somewhat "vertical" and flush with the cardboard. I then created a template using the cardboard and transferred the template on to 16ga CRS which is easily formed by hand.

As per usual, I shot myself in the foot by assuming that I would be able to finish assembling this weekend, as it now looks like I will need to tweak one of the fender mounting brackets :doh:

Back