Beach cruiser build

Those 160's are a blast! Up here in the PNW we race them in their own class "Honda 160GP"...although most of us have moved up to 175's for a little more oomph and the 5 speed gearbox...there are a few 160's still on the track. Super fun!

Those 160's are a blast! Up here in the PNW we race them in their own class "Honda 160GP"...although most of us have moved up to 175's for a little more oomph and the 5 speed gearbox...there are a few 160's still on the track. Super fun!

yes they are!

I used to see them all the time at willow springs.

I was gonna build a little racer out of it, but I don’t think I’ll ever get it to the track and it’s in fantastic shape. Even has the original college parking pass stickers on the bike from 67. It was originally sold only a few hours up the road from me so it’s gonna stay stock.

Good call. Hard to find survivors and if it's all there, keeping it stock is the right call. Plus, there's plenty of 160 race bikes floating around-- if you ever wanted to pick one up to race, getting one already built (A lot cheaper that way too) is the way to go.

Like this?
20210828_134716.jpg

close, but that’s a CB50 (2004ish reproduction).

BUT those are also a blast! We had a Honda dealer near by our shop that got one when they came out and they rev to like 18k!

took it around the block once, it’s what got me interested in the small Honda’s.

37CD4E15-53FA-4A3E-AB92-4866CA0A3841.jpeg
So I’m mocking up some brackets to mount my Boyer, it there any reason (interference??) I wouldn’t want to mount my box this close to the coil??

Signal - I got the directions (which are pretty bad at best). Seem they want you to “zip tie it to the top of the coil mounting tube”… whatever that means. Seems they are mounted pretty close to one another.

I’ll see what I can work out to create some space between them but my tank is pretty big and the only place with room to tuck it is in the channel.

Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated!

I’ll see what I can come up with for all my mounting options but I seems proximity isn’t a huge issue.

I mounted mine like Raymond did...just wrap it with foam padding and stuff it in. I did drill small holes in each gusset and used a zip tie.

I mounted mine like Raymond did...just wrap it with foam padding and stuff it in. I did drill small holes in each gusset and used a zip tie.

good to know!

I came up with a bracket to hold it on the under side. This is just for mock up. But I’ll rivet the bracket on, box is a snug fit - I’ll add a few zip ties for extra security.

if it doesn’t work out, I’ll stick it between the gussets.

F2423B60-AD72-4DF6-80B2-DDCD93D9A40F.jpeg

So I’m all wired up and trying to test power to my headlight/taillight and I’m running into a possible issue…

with the ignition turned on, I’m getting 12v through my key switch but when it hits the fuse box it’s only about 1v… does the bike need to be running (sending power from stator/reg/rec) to get 12v to the fuses??

Bike is wired pretty much like this(insert Boyer)

801CE4AB-407C-4CE3-A072-F187ADD2BF4A.jpeg

Last edited:
with the ignition turned on, I’m getting 12v through my key switch but when it hits the fuse box it’s only about 1v… does the bike need to be running (sending power from stator/reg/rec) to get 12v to the fuses??
No. When you turn the key on, you should get the same 12v at the fuse box. Maybe a slight drop because the rotor and coil are energized, but within a half volt or so.

No. When you turn the key on, you should get the same 12v at the fuse box. Maybe a slight drop because the rotor and coil are energized, but within a half volt or so.

ok, that’s what I assumed.

I’ll give it another run though and see what’s up

thank you for the reply.

Do you have ground wires tying together;
battery Neg
Frame
Engine cases
Headlight bucket
handlebars?
If you still have a rubber mounted battery box that needs ground also if any electrical components requiring ground live there.

Back