BearDad's New Project

BearDad

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a relatively new member to the forum, having pretty much just lurked around while considering the leap I have just taken. I have just purchased the following from a local custom builder:

• 1979 frame, partially chopped, with front end, wheels, and misc. body parts
  • 1979 engine in multiple pieces (serial number matches VIN on above frame), cyls bored out to 0.50, brand new pistons and rings still in packages
  • 1973 frame, relatively whole
  • 19?? "junk" engine for extra parts

The guy that sold all this to me ($400 -- good deal or am I a fool?) said he has too many projects in the works and needed to clean house a little. He insisted all the parts are there to build a complete engine, minus the pipes and a couple of gaskets. I'm excited to get this started, but also realize it will take me a while as I have never done anything like this before. I have already found some of the information on this forum to be invaluable (identifying the year based on the serial number, for example), and will no doubt be asking questions from time to time.

And speaking of questions, what is the general consensus on service/repair manuals? Is Clymer better than Haynes, or vice versa? Or are they about the same.

Thanks all!

Not a bad deal, not a good deal unless the 1979 frame has a title. Then it would be an alright deal. I don't like buying engines in pieces because any little missing pieces can add up quick.

The guy I bought all this from had a title he thought belonged to the 79 frame, but the VINs didn't match; in fact, the title is for an 81 and he didn't even realize the frame was a 79 until I pointed out the sticker on the neck (2/79) and the "2F0-..." VIN indicating a 78 or 79. So as it turns out there is no title for it. However, I know some folks at the DMV and I had them do some checking ... there is no record of that VIN anywhere in our state's system nor in the federal system (meaning it hasn't been titled since Clinton was president, when the federal system was initiated), nor is there a record in the NCIS "all state" stolen database. I was told as far as they are concerned I can title it as a "rebuild" after I finish the project. Of course, to be safe I made the guy I bought it from fill out a bill of sale indicating the VIN that is actually on the frame; if anyone turns up claiming the bike is theirs I will have the legal paperwork to indicate the bike is mine and he is the one they need to get their money from.

As for buying the engine in pieces, I kind-of agree and am hoping my character judgement meter isn't broken. This guy runs a machine shop with his dad, and does a lot of custom work for folks around here as well as doing his own custom builds. I have been working with him for several months while building my VStar 650 bobber (www.photobucket.com/beardadsbobber?action=view&current=005.jpg ... not yet complete), and I don't think he would lie to me. He claims the only parts missing are three gaskets that will be needed. I guess we'll see, as step one in the project is lay out all the "good" engine parts and see what is missing. Of course, for that I need a good manual or some schematics...

Last edited:
Back