Beautiful motorcycles

ron bayless

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
We have talked about ugly ones. How about beautiful ones.The norton commando, the rootbeer and orange 903 z1,the 69 cb750, wes cooley gs1000, original v7 sport, diavel, electraglide, 72 xs 650, triumph bonneville, bert munro Indian, victory vegas, 53 Chief, 75 goldwing,r90 s, and the Britten.

1978 BMW R100RS.....ahhhhhh.

My buddies had posters of Farrah Fawcett ....but I had a poster of one of these....

D512D5B5-F5BB-4CCA-A153-0728F9B761C3-6670-000009365597791C.jpeg

1978 BMW R100RS.....ahhhhhh.

My buddies had posters of Farrah Fawcett ....but I had a poster of one of these....

View attachment 102521
I read in one magazine recently the 10 most reliable motorcycle companies and their motorcycles respectively.Least reliable ducati.Second BMW. I think the japs suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha and honda made up the best 4.I believe honda was #1. Even harley beat out bmw.

From what I have seen, bimmers are pretty inconsistent.

Some BMW models/years are absolutely rock solid reliable with the capability to accumulate HUGE mileages over decades of hard use, while others are totally rubbish with electrical problems, fuel system leaks, and even wheel and rear-end bearing problems (which are virtually unknown on Japanese bikes). While I am sure it has happened, I personally have never seen or heard of a Gold Wing or Honda ST (or Suzuki GS850G or GS1000G for that matter) with a bad final drive bearing. Two of my vintage bike group friends have done transmission and/or rear end bearings on their bimmers.

One thing about the European brands which is consistent however, is that repair costs are through the roof. Parts are very expensive and often hard to get and finding knowledgeable mechanics for these bikes is too on these bikes. A broken BMW or Ducati is a hole into which you can pour money for a looooonnng time, according to my buddies that own them.

YMMV - but that has been my experience.

Pete

PS - despite all of the above, I STILL want a1978 BMW R100RS!!!!!

Last edited:
From what I have seen, bimmers are pretty inconsistent.

Some BMW models/years are absolutely rock solid reliable with the capability to accumulate HUGE mileages over decades of hard use, while others are totally rubbish with electrical problems, fuel system leaks, and even wheel and rear-end bearing problems (which are virtually unknown on Japanese bikes). While I am sure it has happened, I personally have never seen or heard of a Gold Wing or Honda ST (or Suzuki GS850G or GS1000G for that matter) with a bad final drive bearing. Two of my vintage bike group friends have done

One thing about the European brands which is consistent however, is that repair costs are through the roof. Parts are very expensive and labour is too on these bikes. A broken BMW or Ducati is a hole into which you can pour money for a looooonnng time, according to my buddies that own them.

YMMV - but that has been my experience.

Pete

PS - despite all of the above, I STILL want a1978 BMW R100RS!!!!!
the local police here for awhile had bmws.probably the 1600 gtl,not sure.They said the transmissions were junk.They could not stand the wear and tear of city driving.Then they changed to the victory crosscountry which they like, but now Victory is no more.There are about a million towns around here and most ride harleys.You can buy a used police bike at the harley shop cheap.many have 20,000 or less miles but all at stop and go pace and we know how hot their rear cylinders get. In 1972 a friend of mine saved forever and bought a brand new r75/5.My 73 suzuki 500 twin 2 stroke would outrun it.My bike was $1000 new and his was about $2500.He was disappointed.The bmw crowd are an odd bunch,very closed group.One time out riding with a group we stopped to get gas.A guy rode in on about a 1100 rt.He had the most incredible woman riding with him with skin tight leather pants. I started searching craigslist for bmws.

Unfortunately, that "incredible woman" option was only available for a couple of years on the R1100RT and I missed out.

Oh well.

Pete

i love the old brit bikes, always have, always will. my norton will never be sold no matter what. it took me way too long to find it and get it going. She sure is pretty. Many days i just sit outside and stare it after work... never gets old. I shoot black and white film sometimes, so excuse the picture in B and W, but its the highest quality shot i have. The Royal enfield is pretty, but i don't trust it to leave the neighborhood... it never runs right, no matter what i do. I have a bsa scrambler on the work bench right now... ill get it done one day.

image1.JPG image3.JPG IMG_0853.JPG image2.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG

73 TX650, followed by a number of bikes I loved. The wonderful Norton, Cal II Guzzi from the early 80's, the GT750 Water Buffalo, several of the R90's. My old 82 GS1100, the early V-Max, I still like the early monoshock Virago. Honda's 900 Custom. My son's new V7 Guzzi and nephew's big Indian are really good lookers. I liked the looks of the RD Yamaha lineup. I like a lot of stuff, but when I win the lottery the 1st bike I buy is that Water Buffalo. Never got past that.

i love the old brit bikes, always have, always will. my norton will never be sold no matter what. it took me way too long to find it and get it going. She sure is pretty. Many days i just sit outside and stare it after work... never gets old. I shoot black and white film sometimes, so excuse the picture in B and W, but its the highest quality shot i have. The Royal enfield is pretty, but i don't trust it to leave the neighborhood... it never runs right, no matter what i do. I have a bsa scrambler on the work bench right now... ill get it done one day.

View attachment 102534 View attachment 102535 View attachment 102536 View attachment 102533View attachment 102537 View attachment 102538
that norton is totally beautiful.

Back