Beer

Beer? Yes please... Nano brewery I designed and helped build a few years back. 7440156E-6A4F-48C9-93FE-54E4157AE0DA.jpeg4CBCABBA-3887-4780-AB09-A9584C221003.jpeg

In Georgia only, Orpheus Brewing ("Don't look back") Transmigration of Souls. Kinda fruity but the ABV is 10%.
Excellent choice
Georgia has some great breweries and one of my favorites is probably closer to you than it is to me - Wild Leap.
XYXF1539.JPG

German Smokebeer. Hops roasted over a beechwood fire. Smells like a bonfire when you open it. Heavy, malty. Definitely not "sessionable". I'm not sure where you'd find it in the US but the LCBO sells it in Ontario.

Schlenkerla-Urbock-Rauchbier-6.5_-500ml.jpg

This is for anyone who has to fix their bike in the blazing sun, the pouring rain, or in a mosquito apocalypse. Two of these and you just don't care what else is going on.

faxe_10pct.jpg

BEWARE THE VIKING!

Last edited:
oh, beer. went way down the rabbit hole about 10 yrs ago, been buying and trading for Belgian lambic + gueuze like it’s going out of style the whole time — the same way some people get all weird about wine. Now that I’ve cut way back on booze, I have more than I could probably drink in a reasonable timeframe. Very strange problem.

1BA0DE1A-1FC6-4ABF-9680-EE716A625136.jpeg

this is maybe 20% of it... mix of 375mL and 750 mL bottles, a few magnum (1.5L) mixed in but not shown. Also have 6 of these stupid giant 3L russian river bottles marinating. They should really be on their sides and rotated from time to time so the corks don’t dry out

86F5DB28-3132-4D67-8BBE-D210198B999D.jpeg

Maybe I should sell some!

@Henntuill I have tried three ginger beers and can say they are not for me at all. I am not a beer snob. I enjoy dark beers and stouts most of all, the higher the ABV the better. But I will drink whatever I am offered in almost all cases except bitter IPAs and Ginger beer. I hope you don't write me off now, but give me a nice Imperial Stout at 13% and I am a happy fellow.

Well, when I feel a thirst coming on, I reach for "Curly's Light". LOL. Found this stuff in a Shoprite Liquors in N.Jersey in the 90's. I had to save one!
20210221_115044.jpg

I'll try any IPA. Sweetwater Breweries makes some good ones. The 420 Strain is my latest buzz! 6%

20210221_115340.jpg

And every now and them I switch back to my old Czech favorite. Back in N.Jersey, in the 80's I used to play pick up hockey games. There were 3 guys from the Czech Rep all named Joe. Joe the goalie, crazy Joe and Joe the Butcher. Joe the butcher actually owned a butcher shop in NY. Crazy Joe could slapshot a puck over your head from 10 feet away, (sometimes called him the "Head hunter"). Joe the goalie always brought Pilsner Urquell and usually had 2 or 3 girls in his van. After he introduced us to the ladies, he would then say, "Do him, do him and do him!" We'd all laugh and drink more beer.

Attachments

• 20210221_115157.jpg
    20210221_115157.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 88
Question: Did Molson discontinue, "Molson Ice?" Or did they just stop sending it ti Georgia? Molson Ice was one of my favorite smooth tasting quick buzz beer. Personally, I think it's the best tastng Ice beer. Can be skunky at times, but who cares!

Party on, guys! Oh, and I'm still waiting for a Canadian LaBatt's Blue, er, um, Pete!

I think ice beer got a bad rep when the Labatt spokesperson died of alcoholism.

"Tragically, Alexander Godunov died of alcohol related illness in 1995 after a short but promising career ending on the cruel irony that his final performance ever was shooting commercials for Labatt Ice in Toronto."

Damn, that reminds me of the second Mr. Plow ad.

When I was a kid, we'd go to Montreal to visit relatives. They had a soft-drink called "Spruce beer". It had a most distinct flavour you either loved or hated. I loved it! (...and I was a picky kid!) My brother now lives in London, Ontario, and has yet to be able to find it. Does anyone on the North side of the border remember spruce beer? And where can I get some?

My Job has afforded me the opportunity to travel extensively and one of the places I frequent OCONUS is Germany (I work for a Deutsch GMBH) I have also spent a good deal of time in Australia. And this has taught me one thing (well many things but only one that pertains to this conversation) and that is the American beer sucks. I'm not saying all American beer is bad, loads of good microbrew beers out there, but an average Americans have no Idea waht good beer taste like. I love Yuengling, but I will never pass up a good German Pilsner, I also found that most of the Aussie offerings were better than American beer. James Boags ( I know its Tazzy) being my fav. Having said all that my favorite kind of beer is cold...

My Job has afforded me the opportunity to travel extensively and one of the places I frequent OCONUS is Germany (I work for a Deutsch GMBH) I have also spent a good deal of time in Australia. And this has taught me one thing (well many things but only one that pertains to this conversation) and that is the American beer sucks. I'm not saying all American beer is bad, loads of good microbrew beers out there, but an average Americans have no Idea waht good beer taste like. I love Yuengling, but I will never pass up a good German Pilsner, I also found that most of the Aussie offerings were better than American beer. James Boags ( I know its Tazzy) being my fav. Having said all that my favorite kind of beer is cold...
Cold for me Free if I can get it

Yup - I'm not a beer snob - although the mass market US beers are not the greatest. As ThatXS650Guy has pointed out though, there are superb craft breweries popping up all over the US and hopefully, that will bring the whole game up to a higher level.

I have travelled and worked around the world for more than 40 years and have noted that there really is no bad beer (well.....Nigerian "Star" brand beer is definitely....let's just say....an acquired taste) - there is only good beer and gimme-another-one-of-those beer.

Having said that, if it is +39C (around 102 deg. F) outside and I have to mow the lawn, adjust my valves or dig a hole for a new plant for SWMBO, I'd take a 6-pack of Coors / Pabst / Budweiser - over a kick in the nuts - any time.

In fact, if its that hot, make it a 12-pack.

Pete

....and Marlin - its Labatts - big "L", small "b". ;)

Last edited:
Yes, any beer, cold beer! I was able to go to Germany in winter of 99 and spring of 03. I have to agree with Rusty and say the German beers rule.

I know that you will probably think I'm crazy, but I had a wheat beer on tap in a little (very old) town called Sindelfingen and it was fantastic even without a piece of orange. I know, I know, Burt Reynolds always said, "Don't fruit the beer!" I agree, but a slice of orange in a good wheat beer is heaven.

Who has heard of a "Loaded Landshark?" I know you have Marty!

I enjoy most types of beer, depending on the food and weather involved. Heineken in the summer, Guinness in the winter months. I've drank beer on four continents, and while I do agree that the Europeans have perfected the brewing craft, there are also a lot of great breweries in the US. I had to laugh at the mention of Efes beer in Turkey: I spent six years living in Turkey and drank gallons of the stuff... it was the ONLY decent local brew. The others were horrible. We used to go to the bars and order a 2.5 liter container with a little spigot at the bottom... kinda like a pitcher. The local pubs would have ice packs that fit over the container to keep it cold. Fun times!

One time I was vacationing in Thailand with my wife, and found out that some old college friends were in the same town as part of a joint US-Thailand military exercise. We managed to all meet up and play tourist for a few days. We went to a local Muay Thai tournament and sat there drinking Singha beer for $.30 a can. One member of the group commented "This ain't bad beer." to which the rest of of responded in unison "It ain't good beer either!!" Still, it was refreshing on that hot summer night.

Now I live in New England, and there are a ton of great micro and nano breweries: you can't throw a stick without hitting a new variant of IPA... but my most favorite beer in the world is unobtainium around here: Alaskan Amber beer, brewed in the capital of my home state of Alaska. That stuff is the best! Maybe it's the memories of youth that it invokes, maybe it's just the way it tastes with a plate of baked halibut and crab legs: either way, it's my favorite beer ever. Hopefully some day they'll start shipping it out east, but until then it's always waiting for me when I go back to visit family.

beer.jpg

Yup - I'm not a beer snob - although the mass market US beers are not the greatest. As ThatXS650Guy has pointed out though, there are superb craft breweries popping up all over the US and hopefully, that will bring the whole game up to a higher level.

I have travelled and worked around the world for more than 40 years and have noted that there really is no bad beer (well.....Nigerian "Star" brand beer is definitely....let's just say....an acquired taste) - there is only good beer and gimme-another-one-of-those beer.

Having said that, if it is +39C (around 102 deg. F) outside and I have to mow the lawn, adjust my valves or dig a hole for a new plant for SWMBO, I'd take a 6-pack of Coors / Pabst / Budweiser - over a kick in the nuts - any time.

In fact, if its that hot, make it a 12-pack.

Pete

....and Marlin - its Labatts - big "L", small "b". ;)

DoH!!!

I'll risk playing the holy fool and state that Coors Original/Banquet is a damn fine mass market beer. There, I said it. I like Canadian too, when I just want a nice simple beer to end the day.

As someone else once said, "The only thing worse than a wine snob is a beer snob."

I had an Old Milwaukee tall boy a few years ago just for kicks. I had about a dozen of them the first time I ever went on a beer bender at 17. Damn, that's some awful stuff. Apparently it was Steve McQueen's brand though, so maybe I'm just not cool enough. Wouldn't be the first time.

Back