Being an adult sux sometimes...

crawler25.jpg

Got the transmission out today. Took a crew of three (Me, Myself and I) about 5 hours. 4 jacks and an engine crane, lot of fussing with jack it up a little here, let it down a little there, move it back a little, reset, up/down/move/rinse/repeat. Biggest trick is getting the front flange of the transmission case up and over the rear crossmember for the undercarriage without tweaking the propeller shaft.

crawler26.jpg

It's a LONG walk from the front of the transmission to the clutch and throwout bearing. I suspect putting it back in is gonna be a cast iron bitch. Definitely going to have to fab up a jig to hold the trans and allow me to tilt it just right while rolling it into place. Have some ideas on that subject, plenty of time to think it over.

I know it is a very crude drawing but here is an idea for an adjustable lifting bracket to install the transmission:
adjustable lifting bracket.png

Something of this nature would allow you to rotate the housing in a very controlled fashion while hanging but might need a very strong section of threaded rod. but if you only had to have a couple inches of forward and backward adjustment to get the angle change you needed might not need that long a space between the two support legs.

The other idea I would have is: Would it be possible to unbolt the engine mounts and leave the front bolts in place and then jack up the rear of the engine just enough to let the transmission flange clear the cross-member slide the two together and then lower them as a unit?

rev1.jpg

rev2.jpg

rev3.jpg

rev4.jpg

Pulled the reverser off the front of the trans and found the above. And that doesn't account for the rollers that came out of the transmission proper. Likely they came from the bearing that used to be in the front of that intermediate shaft tho. Not sure where the bearing remnants in the third picture came from, it looks to have been a needle bearing.

At the very least it will need a new reverser casting as the boss for the intermediate shaft is trashed. The nose of the intermediate shaft where the nut is all boogered up is likely trashed too.

I'll finish tearing it apart, but it's looking a lot like time to cut my losses and part it out.

Damn.

Yeah, me too. But, I knew going in that serious transmission problems were gonna be a deal breaker. I was hoping a couple bearings would do the job.

Haven't given up yet, but not optimistic about being able to FIND the parts, much less be able to afford them.

Well there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Waiting to find out if it's a searchlight or a train...

There's a website for everything, including a guy that does nothing but part out old JD Crawlers and source repro parts. He thinks he has the casting I need on the shelf, and he KNOWS there's one in a parts machine he just took in. Searchlight or Train depends on what he wants for it.

There's a website for everything,
Gawd I love the internet! Remember land lines and phone books a foot thick? After 3wks and a hundred bucks in long distance charges... you finally find a guy that might know where one is. Kids these days just don't know how good they have.

Gawd I love the internet! Remember land lines and phone books a foot thick? After 3wks and a hundred bucks in long distance charges... you finally find a guy that might know where one is. Kids these days just don't know how good they have.

I know, right? I did this with a 1938 Farmall F-14 back in '98/'99. Parts from Minnesota, Kansas, New York and I don't know where all else, and never a phone call. Wouldn't have dreamed of it without the innerwebz.

How about the "teletype"? It was the forerunner of the fax, and several of the local junk yards had/used them.
Good luck with your search, DE. As good as it runs, that machine oughta have another century left in it... :thumbsup:

Well, it looks like I'll get out of this more cheaply than I thought.

Feller wants $125 for the housing which is more than I hoped but no doubt fair. Life's tough when yer a cheap Esso Bee.

Much to my relief, the shaft threads under that trashed nut are essentially unharmed. Apparently that nut was REALLY soft. A little touchup with a triangular jeweler's file and they'll be fine.

Just need to finish tearing down the trans and making sure nothing else is damaged. Plan to replace ALL the bearings, be stupid not to while I have it apart. Same feller says he has or can get all the bearings, seals and gaskets.

Got a serious bite on that lathe I rebuilt, if he takes it that will cover most of the cost of repairing the trans.

Back