Being an adult sux sometimes...

crawler27.jpg

While waiting on responses for transmission parts, decided to go over the track frames and front idlers. Front outside end of right track frame was broken completely off, just being held on by the bolts in the stone guard.

Whoever said "My welding skills have greatly improved my grinding skills" must've seen my work, but it's back together and I'm pretty sure it'll hold. Vertical/Up on the inside of that piece working in an 8" space was...interesting.

Well, hell.
A mechanic whom I trust implicitly said "file off the rough spots and put 'er back together!" He said he did that on a GMC Astro road tractor 20 years ago and it's still running.

I'ma still wait for a price as I need bearings and such anyway, but if Larry says it's good to go, I'm a believer.
Well, since you're soliciting.... :rolleyes: I'd clean it up and use it. Most ring and pinions can be shimmed to adjust contact area. As a guess, I'd say you could shim that so the damage isn't in the contact area.

Guess it depends on the price and availability of good used gears. But I'd be very tempted to spend some quality time with a Dremel or die-grinder to smooth over all rough areas and blend them in nice and smooth.

Try Googling Stress Risers.

Like MaxPete says "after all - you’re looking for a few hours of fun/year - not 10 hours/day of making a living with this old gal."

And 59Tebo forgot to mention that spot will also be in the middle of the deepest mud hole on the property!

lamp.jpg

@kshansen - Guy that sold me the crawler gave me this dental lamp. Very focused and bright spot. Used that and a magnifying glass to look at the teeth on the ring and pinion.

Ring gear would probably survive, two spots where another chunk is about to break off, but not critical. I'd knock them off and clean the edges up.

Unfortunately, the pinion has 3-4 cracks, one of which will lose about half a tooth when it goes.

Still waiting to hear about replacements.

Just curious. Being that old, is the pinion cast iron or cast steel? Is it hardened?

Steel. I'd imagine it's hardened, I can't see it lasting long if it weren't.

Guy solved his email problems and got back to me. Pending verification of serial number, $450 for a good used R&P. Hadn't budgeted for that, but I'd feel WAY more comfortable, knowing what a PITA it would be to have to pull it all apart again and replace it anyway.

Steel. I'd imagine it's hardened, I can't see it lasting long if it weren't.

Guy solved his email problems and got back to me. Pending verification of serial number, $450 for a good used R&P. Hadn't budgeted for that, but I'd feel WAY more comfortable, knowing what a PITA it would be to have to pull it all apart again and replace it anyway.

Yep, for sure.

Hadn't budgeted for that,
Pile up all your scrap, including the cracked housing, haul it off to the recycler, and get back some moneys. It'll be like having a coupon for the ring & pinion. And you can tell Mrs. Downeaster: "See! I'm cleaning the place up!" She'll have to be happy about that. Winner-winner, chicken dinner! :thumbsup:

While my friend (whose hot rod shop my bikes are in) is of the mind of "time is money..."
Speed of sound, speed of light... speed of hobby. I'm not on anybody's "clock", so it'll get done when it gets done.
That's why it's hard to place a monetary value on my bikes. Other people equate the time spent on their projects as something of value. At the "speed of hobby", it's a labor of love. Therefore my time is worth... nothing. It'll never be "done", since it's an evolutionary process, and I'm okay with that. :twocents:

Well, I did the math and the bottom line is I just don't have the pockets to fix the crawler.

At a MINIMUM, I'd be into it for $2000 plus the purchase price and I don't have those kind of resources.

I'll be parting it out, should be able to cover the purchase price and maybe even put a few bucks in my pocket.

Known expenses if I tried to fix it:

Ring gear and pinion - $450 plus shipping. Several people have recommended cleaning up and running the old ones, but the pinion has multiple fracture lines and I wouldn't trust it not to grenade and trash all the other work.

Reverser parts - $450 plus shipping. About the same if I get the parts to eliminate the reverser.

Full set of bearings for the transmission - $550 plus gaskets and incidentals.

Estimated repairs to hydraulic cylinders - $200, and that's if I make do with the pitted rods. At least double and probably triple that if I replace the rods.

Another few hundred for the inevitable gotchas, new fasteners, muffler, genny overhaul, starter overhaul, etc.

Time to run while I still have a shot at breaking even.

Well, I did the math and the bottom line is I just don't have the pockets to fix the crawler.

At a MINIMUM, I'd be into it for $2000 plus the purchase price and I don't have those kind of resources.

I'll be parting it out, should be able to cover the purchase price and maybe even put a few bucks in my pocket.

Known expenses if I tried to fix it:

Ring gear and pinion - $450 plus shipping. Several people have recommended cleaning up and running the old ones, but the pinion has multiple fracture lines and I wouldn't trust it not to grenade and trash all the other work.

Reverser parts - $450 plus shipping. About the same if I get the parts to eliminate the reverser.

Full set of bearings for the transmission - $550 plus gaskets and incidentals.

Estimated repairs to hydraulic cylinders - $200, and that's if I make do with the pitted rods. At least double and probably triple that if I replace the rods.

Another few hundred for the inevitable gotchas, new fasteners, muffler, genny overhaul, starter overhaul, etc.

Time to run while I still have a shot at breaking even.

dang Paul - that’s too bad, but yeah, I agree with your decision.

Pete

Very capable and logical reasoning. ( something I lack when I get my emotions involved- that unexplainable thing that can make you do stupid stuff you may regret for the rest of your life)

I am a little disappointed though, I really enjoy your succinct narratives.........the bulldozer certainly could have been epic and liberating.

Last edited:
Yup, I normally let my emotions overrule my common sense when it comes to fixing stuff, but this one was just over the top.

Also, SWMBO was getting pissy when I floated various plans to finance it...:yikes:

eeeeeyyyyyahhhh.....I've run into that roadblock a few times myself.

Best to just say "sorry" and back away quietly while bowing from the waist.

It has always surprised me that they (women that is) seldom seem to appreciate the fun and value in having something like your very own bulldozer to play with.

Sad really.

You can come and stay at my place till things cool down there if need be.

Pete

Last edited:
hmmmm.....my PC seems to want to insert my message twice.

Odd.

Last edited:
Back