Bender Dies

wheelhouse8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am making a bender and was wondering if anyone had experience with down sizing a die by bending a tube cutting it in half and inserting it into the bore of the die to make it smaller. Does this work...cause if it does I suspect I can buy one die and make it work for smaller sizes. Thanks for your input.

No wonder with all that drinkin and smokin
R.I.P

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 202
Sing his praises if you want, but the fact is he was an obnoxious ass.

i am going to do the same thing with a hydraulic pipe bender. it will work fine, you could just tack weld the half cut tube to the die so you can grind it out later

i am going to do the same thing with a hydraulic pipe bender. it will work fine, you could just tack weld the half cut tube to the die so you can grind it out later
that would be my thought does the die slide along the tube as it bends it? if so the shim would slide, otherwise it should work ok it would be softer than the die but easy to replace

Thanks for the input....I got all anxious and ordered the die I needed from Pro-tool today anyway. I have been working on an xs out of my garage and will throw up some pics one of these days.

TTFN

I've thought of trying that, but with my bender (and any rotary draw bender) you would need to use one bent tube cut in half for the die and another straight tube cut in half for the backing block. Instead of messing around with that, I ended up just buying all the dies I need. Expensive but a lot less messing around. I think it could work though... and still might try it someday.

Back