Bending the metal clutch cable guide. Or telling on myself.

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Having swapped to lower bars I wanted to get rid of the excess clutch cable (after 2yrs).
So I dug an old standard cable out and decided to follow 5twins tip of taking some of the bend out.
Cut some beer cans to put in between the vise jaws so as not to mar my crusty rusty metal piece. Like anyone would notice but it made "feel" like I was doing the right thing.
Slowly I started turning the vise in. I wasn't really seeing any improvement and it looked like I might crush the outside ferrell parts before the the bend would straighten.
In a moment of inspiration I decided that hot metal bends easier than cold and grabbed the torch. (note to self move torch further from table for time to think)
I guess everyone else knows there is a plastic/nylon bushing in there.:yikes:
I didn't think to look but I know there WAS one in there now.:doh:

So is it the bend that makes it grabby or the slot that is worn into the liner after xx amount of years. I'm thinking now it may be the channel worn in the liner. Now I don't have to worry about it on this cable.:laugh::laugh:

The trick to not crushing the top end closed is to hang it out the end of the vice .....

ElbowUnmodded.jpg

Then take about half the bend out of the elbow. You don't want it completely straight. You need some bend in it to direct the cable correctly up and in between the carbs .....

ElbowModded.jpg

WE, time for a new cable I think, lol.

Seems like a good way to ready this, thought about it myself, and willdo it the next time I have it off

Posted via Mobile

Back