Bent forward controls

denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
I picked up some forward controls for my XS custom today at a good price. They’re secondhand and came off a Harley that had been dropped. The gear shift arm is bent and I’m wondering whether anyone has any tips for adjusting (twisting) it back to suitable angle? I’ll can either re-chrome or paint them if I have to - but thought maybe there is a way to straighten it without damaging the chrome. I’m guessing if they were cast they would have broken rather than bent on impact. A shed magnet tells me they’re steel rather than billet. Any tips appreciated.

clamp part or bolt in place, have a leverage tool arranged apply some pressure, then use an electric heat gun, wait for the heat to allow part to start bending back, straighten the part SLOWLY, Chrome can be bent and straightened if it hasn't fractured. An acetylene torch will make quick work of it but will discolor the chrome.
This works well on aluminum castings also, use an acetylene or propane torch, again wait for the heat to make the part malleable then slowly move it back to original shape.
Th

Last edited:
Also if the part is small enough you can put it in boiling water, then it will bend easily.

Well as usual the tips from members have been very helpful. I sat the bent forward control bits in boiling water and then gently An old mate called in just before I started and, as a qualified Fitter and Turner with 50 years experience said "the hot water thing is an old wives tale - it won't work." When he called back later there they were in good shape. The brake pedal needs a tiny bit more bending but I couldn't really see the angle til it was all bolted together again. The shots in the water show the degree of bend in the gear lever. Thanks guys for your help! D

Attachments

• F3.JPG
    F3.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 124
  • F7.JPG
    F7.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 133
  • F1.JPG
    F1.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 144
  • F5.JPG
    F5.JPG