Bent Triple Trees?

Another way to look at tubes is to clamp the lower in a vice. (Use one of the disk mount tabs or the axle area) then turn the upper tube, watch the top. If you DO decide to use the tube as is; I'd say turn it so the bend is forward not off to one side or the back.

Anyone ever bent a set of trees? I bought my 81 Special II from a co-worker, whose sister in law crashed the bike into a fire hydrant. I've got it on my table lift, with the wheel locked straight ahead in the wheel vise. The wheel is straight, but the bars and trees are cocked to the left. It's pretty obvious just by looking at it. I've pulled the guages. headlight, etc, off, and was wondering if these are somehow bent, or if anyone knows if they just got tweaked and can be loosened up and realigned. The bike handles fine, so I don't think the forks are bent or anything like that. It just feels really weird when you're going straight ahead and everything is pointing left.
I've already inquired about the set that's in the classifieds in case I need a replacement.

Thanks,
bpd106

Nope I had a set of bent triples, first one in I don't know how many bikes (not common) chucked them bought a used set for 30 buck and off I went (actually cut the neck stem out for a leafer I am building) did not really chuck them I believe in recycling:thumbsup:

BTW I once took a bent (really bent ) tube to a dealership to get it fixed, they charged me 60 bucks in the 80's and when i got it back and took a good look it had vise marks on it. the lesson in that is even well qualified mechanics straighten fork tubes with a vise just use aluminum or brass vise tooth covers to lessen the damage on the tube. And if the tube has got discoloring on the bend like a light hazing discard do not use its gonna break on you when you don't want it to. mY 2 cents

Back