Best Bang For Your Buck- P.M.A./Ignition System

OgCoda

Bikes.Boards.Brews
Reaction score
So I have been reading up about these "PMA" systems people are running in there bikes and frankly I think you would be dumb not to... I figure I'll do the PAMCO electronic ignition at the same time. My only problem is that i'm not 100% dead set on a kit. I (Like everyone else) i'm looking to get the "Best Bang For My Buck" BUT I don't want to skimp out on a lesser product and suffer the old "You Get What You Pay For" deal. So here is the deal. I have looked about everywhere I can think of and found these.

$289.00 XS-CHARGE PMA SYSTEM
$319.00 Hughs Handbuilt PMA System
$279.00 MikesXs PMA System

OR

$510.00 Full PMA/PAMCO System

The HHB system looks rad and I have found a few really good reviews on his stuff. The xs-charge system looks pretty good as well, seeing as TCBros carries it I'm sure its alright. The mikes kit is the cheapest so far and also looks good, But for a bit more you can get the pamco kit with it for $510.00. So in my case where I'm doing both the pma and pamco would it be a good idea to just go with the $510.00 system? Any experience with these kits would be awesome!

To be fair and complete, there are also the excellent Powerdynamo systems that Richard Pollock of Mule Motorcycles fame is a fan of. PMA and crank-fire ignition together under the alternator cover; nothing driven off the cam. $540-$570, plus re-phase options available.

Personally, I typically subscribe to the old adage, "The bitterness of poor performance remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"; buy the PMA from Hugh and the PAMCO from Pete, and rest assured that you'll be dealing with two solid vendors who will absolutely stand behind their products with honor and dignity.
I'm not saying that the other products/vendors are necessarily inferior, but Hugh and Pete have both shown a commitment to after-the-sale customer service that has grown rare in this country.

Well, reliability is going to be one of my main factors seeing as this bike is being built for my wife. As i have mentioned before I'm working with a budget and would like to save money where i can without sacrificing reliability and performance. If need be i'll buy the PMA from hugh and the pamco from mikesxs. I just haven't seen any disadvantages of buying the mikesxs kit so far. Seeing as i'll need the Pamco High Output system its going to add up FAST just the hughs pma and the pamco are around to $570.00 without shipping. :/ I'll also check out "powerdynamo" Thanks for the info osteoderm.

By the way, Powerdynamo's site is one of the weirdest websites ever. From what i can understand it sounds rad but i can't find any price information.

By the way, Powerdynamo's site is one of the weirdest websites ever. From what i can understand it sounds rad but i can't find any price information.

Europeans, dontcha know :shrug:... click the "€/$" and you'll get pricing. Everything is in Euros. The website would turn me off too, if I hadn't already read great reviews from such creditable sources.

Nothing wrong with the old factory alternator. If you are going to use a battery. I replaced the old rotor around 6000 miles. Back then a rewind was asound $70.00. I would buy a new rotor. Solid state regulator and Rectifier radio shack and new brushes Todays prices $180.00. Buy a new battery With the leftover money. That was 12 years ago still going strong. A 16000 miles.

I think you would be dumb not to...
So, you're saying I'm dumb, and I'm guessing so are the majority of XS650 owners...

I'm working with a budget
Big difference between your idea of a budget and my idea of a budget...

Nothing wrong with the old factory alternator. If you are going to use a battery. I replaced the old rotor around 6000 miles. Back then a rewind was asound $70.00. I would buy a new rotor. Solid state regulator and Rectifier radio shack and new brushes Todays prices $180.00. Buy a new battery With the leftover money. That was 12 years ago still going strong. A 16000 miles.
What he said.

I installed a Pamco as a preventative measure , my ignition system was working 100% , but it does give you better performance so it is worth it . My charging system is working at factory spec, so I am waiting for it to fail before I buy a PMA from Hugh . In the meantime I will just replace the brushes and clean some contacts before riding season starts . ( I actually hope my charging system fails because I want a PMA )

So, you're saying I'm dumb, and I'm guessing so are the majority of XS650 owners...

What he said.

Yeah, I'm one of the dumb guys to. My bike still has the original 35 year old stock alternator, with 30,000 kms. It has put out 14.2 volts for the 6 years I've had the bike, but everyone knows they are just crap, and should be ripped off the bike and replaced with a PMA as soon as possible:D

replace it if its shagged & looks like a dogs been chewin on it, if it charges ok then leave it be - save yourself the couple hundred $$$.

Just keep an eye on the brushes, no big electrical accessories, Make sure your wiring, connectors and fuse box are good, and replace the battery when it needs it.

Just fitted hugh's PMA seems to work good,early days yet as I havent put many ks.on it yet,wasen't very impressed with key/keyway thing but,also had the rotor balanced as it was a bit out,but that could be the luck of the draw,as is most things out of china,nice to have good volt's again.

What he said.

I know your the cool guy on here and you need to flex your xs650 muscles but spare me please, I have been building bikes for years. Just because i'm new to the forum doesn't mean i'm an idiot. Just because I feel that i would be more comfortable with a brand new and improved PMA type charging system other then waiting for my 40 year old system to take a dump on me. I'd rather make the upgrade for less maintenance and less moving parts. Not trying to be a dick but if you want to rock a mullet, run the stock charging system and listen to an eight-track more power to ya. :thumbsup:

It's all good.
If you are really on a budget though, stay stock and mount a volt gauge on the bike. This will give you warning when your battery or alternator starts failing. I cannot afford a PMA, so that's what I do. Harbor Freight has a nice analog voltmeter for about $6.

And, sorry for sounding testy. Hugh is the best. But, I just get tired of everyone with more money than me who insist that you have to do the PMA upgrade.

It's all good.
If you are really on a budget though, stay stock and mount a volt gauge on the bike. This will give you warning when your battery or alternator starts failing. I cannot afford a PMA, so that's what I do. Harbor Freight has a nice analog voltmeter for about $6.

And, sorry for sounding testy. Hugh is the best. But, I just get tired of everyone with more money than me who insist that you have to do the PMA upgrade.

No biggie, I'm building this bike into a bobber/chopper for my wife. I'm going to completely go through the engine anyways and figure while rebuilding why not do it right. My budget consists of buying smart, not saying that i'm broke.

Back