Best Harley or GSXR front end for 1975 xs650 with 18 x 3.5 rim?

KAYARAMIC

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, just got my first xs650 1975. Looking for the least work to swap out my front end, planning on putting 18 x 3.5 in the front but getting stuck searching through threads for who has done this. Who has swapped the front end to a Harley or GSXR and had to do minimal work? Looking for a model/year for a GSXR or Harley front end that'll fit easiest...:umm:

I don't have shop tools readily available & planning to do this in my basement so would prefer a bearing that will fit without major work done to it..please post suggestions and/or photos of your finished result.

I found that gsxr bearing is usually 25mm and the xs is 1"..is 0.01" an extreme problem?? or gsxr front end is the best option for the look I want?

Looking to do something similar to the attached photo.

THANKS!!!!:bike::heart::heart:

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 319
Welcome to the forum!

The bike in your attached photo has the stock xs mag,trees, headlamp, ignition switch and forks. The only mods seem to be the chopped fender, stock bars replaced with clamp ons, gauges removed and maybe non stock headlight clamps.

Thank you!!

Sorry I meant height wise, not the look lol. I am short so need something with that stance.

03-04 GSXR1000 is what is on this bike. Buell also works well. Check out the build threads on this forum. All Balls sells the bearing conversions for both. 17" front wheel?
retro XS build 021.JPG

The forks (and rear shocks) look to be stock heights. The bike is pretty much stock except for a few aesthetic changes - bars, seat, fenders, pipes, centre stand removed. Your bike pretty much has that stance unless a PO put longer forks and shocks on it. Might just be the lower bars and removed gauges that make that bike look lower than yours. Do you have any pictures of your bike?

I have used both GSXR and Sportster but the easy one to install and not too much work is Sportster 1999 to 2005

Attachments

• white bike.jpg
    white bike.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3891.JPG
    IMG_3891.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 541
I want Harley rims which are 18 x 3.5 but the stock fork won’t allow
I have used both GSXR and Sportster but the easy one to install and not too much work is Sportster 1999 to 2005
thanks!! Do you know the front axle size of the gsxr? I would like to use a gsxr front end with the Harley rim...but if you suggest the Sportster I can also go that route. Did you ever look into the wide glide?

You have to make a axle fit. XS650 axle with in larged end to fit GSXR opening. That's why I said Sportster much easier to install just install like you are doing springer 1" bearings cut 1/16 " off bottom of neck and you can use any 3/4" axle wheel

Not familiar with the Sportster fork but are they inverted? The last Sportster I had was a 1996 and it was a conventional fork. Just curious. :umm:

The forks (and rear shocks) look to be stock heights. The bike is pretty much stock except for a few aesthetic changes - bars, seat, fenders, pipes, centre stand removed. Your bike pretty much has that stance unless a PO put longer forks and shocks on it. Might just be the lower bars and removed gauges that make that bike look lower than yours. Do you have any pictures of your bike?
You have to make a axle fit. XS650 axle with in larged end to fit GSXR opening. That's why I said Sportster much easier to install just install like you are doing springer 1" bearings cut 1/16 " off bottom of neck and you can use any 3/4" axle wheel
THANKS!!

Back