1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Headlight Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cheftay, Jan 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. OldGuy

OldGuy XS650 Member

Retiredgentleman, I was wondering if you had any trouble with installing this Sylvania light in place of the stock sealbeam and does it make enough light at night?

2. petesxs

petesxs XS650 Enthusiast

I have two or three LED tail lights. In my experience they don't always work. Others have said the same. Any suggestions?

3. Capt_Zoom

Capt_Zoom Raider Rider/xs newbie

Can anyone enlighten me as to why you need a conversion kit for non IPF?

4. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman XS650 Guru Top Contributor

OldGuy;
    The Sylvania is a direct swap with no problems. I don't ride at night, so I can't give any info as to its quality in the dark. However, as compared to the original type headlight that it replaced, it was a huge improvement. For me its used as a safety device in the daytime, so that I'm more visible to others.

5. jamesgs4

jamesgs4 fuck this, let's ride!

Those blu-ish lights are really bright on conrcrete highways at night, but REALLY suck at night in the rain on asphalt.

6. jamesgs4

They are diodes, which only allow current to travel in one direction. So if the wiring is backwards, they wont work whereas an incandescent would.

7. KeithB

KeithB XS650 Addict

The Mike's conversion kit looks fine and not too expensive at $32.
    However, if you have a bike wrecker near you, there are plenty of 7" headlights that take an H4 bulb that can be had cheap.
    Found one for mine for $10 and bought a $4 bulb. Works much better than the sealed beam.
    Better pattern control and you can choose the wattage of bulb you want.

BTW, really like the indicator lights in the Los D pic! Hmmmmmmm....I'm thinkin here....

Also, here is a source for a custom bucket with speedo. He is working on mine right now. Custom built to your specific headlight ring and gauge.
    I'll post when I get it installed.
    http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/euroheadlightbucket.html

8. C-Los SD

C-Los SD XS650 Addict

Who makes this headlight bucket that can fit a gauge?

Thanks

9. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

My Candlepower light isn't blue tinted. It's a very bright white. Here's a pic showing the spot, up and to the right on low beam. Even a pic of the light and the box it comes in.

Attached Files:

10. jamesgs4

those are made that way and are found on older mopeds and scooters/small motorcyales.

11. KeithB

KeithB XS650 Addict

12. OldGuy

OldGuy XS650 Member

Thanks for the info.

13. KeithB

KeithB XS650 Addict

I should be getting pics of the shell soon so I will post them.
    The shell was designed to take a Honda CB750 headlight ring as it has 3 fastening points and I figured it would be more secure. (had one in stock)
    Also sent the measurements of the stock speedo for an exact fit.
    As this is not an off the shelf item, he can custom fit to your specs.

14. brilamb2

brilamb2 XS650 Enthusiast

anybody ever tried an hid light in the h4 housings? im seriously thinking about giving it a shot, love how much light they put out and they only like 35 watt bulbs

15. Rev D

Rev D XS650 Enthusiast

That speedo and light combo is sweet, I wonder if i could just make one out of metal. hmmmmm.
    Anyone think heat would be a problem?

16. XS650_Bobber

XS650_Bobber Working in my project

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  17. 79yam

79yam XS650 Addict

just wondering where i might find a light with the gauge in it?

18. grepper

grepper fiddle futzer

>just wondering where i might find a light with the gauge in it?

Search eBay or a motorcycle bone yard for old head light with a gauge in it. It was a popular setup in the 60s and early 70s. Remove the old speedo and pop in yours or an after market one with the same ratios.

19. 79yam

79yam XS650 Addict

i have been looking but up here in vancouver b.c. there are very few sources for parts , there are only bone yards and i already searched one of them.

20. jpweldshop

jpweldshop Garage Rat

o would just use a hole saw and make one fit. i don't have use for my old 7" housing, i bought a 5 1/2" housing from drag specialties...