Best headlight setup, alternatively auxillary lights.

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Like it or not, days are getting shorter again, on the northern hemisphere. So more of my riding will be in the dark. The stock 55/60W H4 is sort of ok, but far from great.
So more/ better light is definitely something I want, especially since there is plenty of moose in the forest around here....
I guess installing a couple of relays, to minimize voltage drop is a good first step. Then maybe try different H4 bulbs, maybe even a 80/100W one.
But after that? Replacing the headlight with a better one, maybe a Honda Hornet one, a LED one, or something else. Or is a couple of Denali LED auxillary lights a better option, they draw just 10W each.

I have a couple of bikes with Wipac Quadoptic light units and H4 fitting LED’s. Although these give a great deal of light the lamp unit doesn’t project a good beam. They probably only draw half the current of an ordinary bulb.
The light in my XS is an original sealed beam unit and as I don’t use it at night it will suffice.

I think LEDs are the way to go , if you really want big light at low voltage draws.
Gary has done a lot of looking into them,

http://www.xs650.com/threads/led-headlight-conversions-ideas-good-and-bad.50174/

I can tell you that on a late model Triumph I had, I tried to up my lighting using incandescent bulbs, and it worked,
When my bike was coming down the road, it looked like the sun was coming up! :D Only problem was, my charging system couldn’t keep up, and I constantly killed the battery.

Back