Best manual?

I bought a Haynes, Its better than nothing, but Really lame in my opinion.

In a fit of frustration had a brain storm and Bought a Copy of the Yamaha Service manual for the Model and year of my Bike (The Haynes has less pages and has all years and is printed on what seems recycled paper, some instructions are hard to decipher).

Got it off ebay $53.00 it is white and loose leaf. I put it in sheet protectors in a binder.

Worth every Penny. The Printing and Picture are nice. The info is mostly correct and it covers only my bike and is also really close for my other bike. Both are mostly stock.
So if you can find one...
But most of the info is online if you cant.

Last edited:
blue: any tips on finding a Yamaha book? I scored a 78+ Special supplement, but I want the master book too. Havent found one on eBAY yet.

I have a Clymer that the PO threw in when I bought the bike and have used it some. It's kinda worn and greasy though. I bought this factory manual from ebay that is pretty good. The reson I bought the factory manual is that the Clymer and a couple other sources I have read give different info than the factory manual which irritates me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0544635898&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Malloy-Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item41558096ac

You scored about the best one. I think the last full manual was the '78 one, just supplements after that. Your version includes them up to '80 so you'll have info on the BS34s and the electronic ignition.

That will be fine for your '78 but doesn't look like it includes any of the supplements for any later models. May not have the supplement for the Special either.

Thanks, really need it mainly for engine/transmisson disassembly and such. Most of that should be pretty much the same through out the years, correct?

Guys...many do not seem to be aware that brand new prints of service manuals for all the XS 650's are still available from Yamaha and are sold directly. While I have a bunch of the old earlier original year single copies....the one I use (and value) most is a new reprint by Yamaha.

YAMAHA XS 650 1978-1981 LIT-11616-XS-62 Included in this publication are:

XS650 E Service Manual (LIT-11616-00-76
XS650SE Supplementary Service Manual (LIT-11616-01-08
XS650F/2F " " " (LIT-11616-01-65
XS650G/SG " " " (LIT-11616-01-75
XS650H/SH " " " (LIT-11616-02-30

Nothing like having it all together... supplements, diagrams, fold-outs brand new and bound and of excellent first print quality printed on demand (order) and shipped 3-5 days.

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

XS650, XS1B, TX650A&B, XS650B,C,D (individual manuals also available new...printed on demand)

http://www.yamahapubs.com/index.do

Start here if you're looking for the best of the best new direct from Yamaha:

http://www.yamahapubs.com/
http://www.yamahapubs.com/index.do?pg=gallery1

Best, Blue

Last edited:
I have a Clymer that the PO threw in when I bought the bike and have used it some. It's kinda worn and greasy though. I bought this factory manual from ebay that is pretty good. The reson I bought the factory manual is that the Clymer and a couple other sources I have read give different info than the factory manual which irritates me.

Pumps Old Buddy...I seldom take issue with you but; just between us girls....
The Clymers service manual on the XS 650.....SUCKS A BIG ONE !
Moreover, it is distincly worse than irritating, it's the least helpful, most error filled POS of any we might choose from and a royal PITA to attempt to follow.

Mr uknowmetoogoog.....If they only paid you $25 to take it.....you were robbed!

I'm usually a Clymers fan. (All the Clymers Beemer airheads eg).

The Yamaha service manual is the only crutch for us old XS 650 curmudgeons to lean on. (though the Haynes is occasionally helpful). If any reading this diatribe might think that I'm just angry and hostile because I need a good service manual so badly.... they should be congratulated.... because they are dead right!

Stong opinion to follow. Warmest personal regards none-the-less! Blue

Last edited:
As a fix General Fix it guy and a Haynes Manuel owner I concur.
See my post above.
A great Service Manuel makes working on any vehicle way more fun and less expensive and will give you more play time.
Unless you like to cry or scream!

blubikerblan-I am not impressed by the Clymer either and that's why I bought the factory one but it (the Clymer) was a freebie. They're just too damn vague for me. Funny thing is they are located here in the metro area about 30 minutes from me over the line in KS and I have met the publisher at a vintage bike show we have here every year.

I like to have several for any bike I own so I can cross reference things. They all have mistakes, by comparing several and looking at the bike in question first hand, you can usually sort things out. Then if in doubt, ask on one of these internet lists. Unfortunately, most ask basic questions before they even bother to look at a manual.

I recieved my Yellow factory manual today. Pictures are clear and good paper, this should make life a little easier.

Back