Best of luck to all

Re. feeling less need to post, I hear ya, WR. I noticed that more than half of my posts amounted to sometimes more and sometimes less diplomatic versions of "Question asked and answered multiple times, do some searches, you lazy twit." So I started posting less. Guys who seem to be educable but seriously lost will still get my attention, and I try to help guys who get misleading, off topic, or dead wrong responses from those who are short on knowledge and long on confidence. Apart from that, it's social hour.

I certainly owe a debt of gratitude to rg as well as wer and the others he mentioned. Changed me from a half-baked auto fixer to a rocking and rolling motorcycle fixer who can get by with a Swiss army knife. As well as 4g, who in addition is willing to part with any part. My belief is these guys were very instrumental in turning the XS650 into what it is. The cottage industries that arose supplying parts probably also owe them a debt. I haven't noticed such incredible resources for any other bike out there. So as Thanksgiving approaches, let us remember the recently departed and the still living, and so on and so forth.

Re. feeling less need to post, I hear ya, WR. I noticed that more than half of my posts amounted to sometimes more and sometimes less diplomatic versions of "Question asked and answered multiple times, do some searches, you lazy twit." So I started posting less. Guys who seem to be educable but seriously lost will still get my attention, and I try to help guys who get misleading, off topic, or dead wrong responses from those who are short on knowledge and long on confidence. Apart from that, it's social hour.

If continually criticising other members advice and contributions is all you can manage, or you can't be bothered maybe you should consider not posting too. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, Thanksgiving
Family dynamics is an interesting thing. Thank goodness for the continuation of life and maturity. With my grown children at the holiday gatherings, it used to be a question of who would have a meltdown and make the holiday about themselves, purposely or inadvertently. As time has gone by they've finally figured out and accept which piece of the family pie is theirs, and no longer try to grab the others too.......and sometimes you just have to ignore stupid shit that the sons in law may just happen to say for the general civility of the gathering.

We're kinda like that here.

Hey "peanut," looks like you took that post you quoted personally. Down in our southern states they have a proverb: "Throw a rock at the pack and it's the hit dog that hollers." Have you finally figured out that I don't "hide behind internet anonymity," as you charged in another one of your rants, and clearly identified myself a long time ago in the intro. to the Carb Guide? In case you missed it: Dick Russell, Carbondale, Illinois. Please note that I've never directed any personal characterizations your way. You do a good enough job of it.

My father once told me off and said "You are always making generalizations about people". For some reason he did not appreciate me pointing out that his statement was a generalization. At the time I was the only one to find it funny, still do some 30 years later.

I appreciate that there has been a healthy airing of opinions and grievances.
Getting such things off our chests is generally a good thing; in fact, I spent my professional life encouraging people to do just that.
However, I'm wondering if this might be a good point at which to bring this particular airing process to a close.

I too have spent many years helping people get things off their chests. Not because I am special but because I pissed them off with my warped view of life.

Funny, I'm well aware of my thoughts and how they occur, whether generated internally by outside stimuli or from out of the blue.
Was thinking about RG yesterday and what he might be up to these days - and that was out of the blue. Seems I may not have been the only one......
Yes, you are not alone on that thought.

And I wonder what Peanut is up to.

Back