best regulator/rectifiers after PMA swap

Brew

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Long story short I've cooked two batteries due to a failed regulator. I've been using the early YZFR1 because they are so affordable but I think it's time to make a switch. Any recommendations? The first battery I figured it just went bad because of age and the second battery (brand new) I just checked to make sure it was charging and didn't check for overcharging which was caused by the bad grounding side of the failed regulator. New Battery is on it's way and would love to avoid the 2 mile push this thing left me with at 2:30am last time I rode it.

ok so what I absorbed is that the compufire 55402 is the one to get right? Is there another 3 phase series off of another bike that will work?

Last edited:
PMA is 3 phase, 3 yellow wires off the stator is 3 phase. I set mine up with a vulcan 800 drifter stator and matching reg/rec from the same bike. IIRC for a used reg/rec off of ebay I paid $15.

Alternators can be 3 phase or can be single phase. It would clarify the thread if the brand/type of alternator was stated.
Banshee 3 phase is what I'm running. thought I said that already but I guess not. What do you run?

well i'm not changing back nice try. Should I try the mosfet type or just go straight to the compufire series type. Who's had a good experience with the mosfet type?

Back