Better drivers

tx650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that a motorcyclist driving a car is a better driver in a way that we are more aware of our surroundings especially motorcycles...Does anyone agree with me?

I've believed for a long time that people should have to ride on a bike in traffic, and ride in a big truck (maybe even drive it) before they get their license. Too many people take for granted their little cocoons that almost drive themselves.
If they had a ride on or in some other vehicles it might change their attitude towards sharing the road.

I've believed for a long time that people should have to ride on a bike in traffic, and ride in a big truck (maybe even drive it) before they get their license. Too many people take for granted their little cocoons that almost drive themselves.
If they had a ride on or in some other vehicles it might change their attitude towards sharing the road.

Sometimes

Yep. I started riding as a kid, had a few encounters, and for the last 46 years, I've assumed every vehicle I see is going to pull out, turn in front etc. I think it makes one a much more defensive driver, courteous as well. I try to make eye contact at intersections etc.

John

Yep. I started riding as a kid, had a few encounters, and for the last 46 years, I've assumed every vehicle I see is going to pull out, turn in front etc. I think it makes one a much more defensive driver, courteous as well. I try to make eye contact at intersections etc.

John

Yep very true and there was definitely eye contact when this Bitch pulled out on me when I was riding 2 up on my Harley.After taking drastic measures to avoid a crash with her monster 4 x4 I let her have a piece of my mind when I caught up with her while she just carried on blissfully ignorant.So my moral of the story is Don't always expect them to stop for you even if they do make eye contact.

This is all assuming that the rider of the motorcycle is being safe. I have seen some amazingly dumb riders out there who would be better off without one.

Having spent 28 years as a truck driver with a clean, accident free record, having been a 3rd party drivers liscense examiner, having gone to truck safety schools (skid pad training, rollover training) and certified to teach Smith System, AAA Driver safety, US an Canadian government driver safety, having trained DMV and DOT officers and having spent over 30 years riding motorcycles on the street I think I'm somewhat qualified to talk on this subject.

I also worked with local police in accident investigation.

But all that was before I got into the junk business.

Learning how to drive a truck and ride a motorcycle can't hurt. Having done those things should/could make one a better driver in a car. But it doesn't always work. I've seen great truck drivers and some of the safest bikers I know who are complete idiots in their cars. I've tried to figure this out but the only explanation I can come up with is this:

Cars and light trucks are too easy to drive, too insulating and have too many built in distractions. Trucks are moving in that direction. It's simply too easy to drive a car. If and when automatic motorcycles become popular the death rate will go up.

Sadly though, having investigated accidents, most accidents involving a motorcycle are the fault of the motorcyclist or the motorcyclist was partially at fault. Usually, excessive speed and inexperience play into the causes of a crash.

As to looking into the driver's eyes: If you're that close it's already too late. People pull out in front of bikes not realizing the bike is traveling far over the posted speed limit-- that makes the crash the fault of the biker AND the driver of the car. And if it's a tie you lose.

Like I said before, Sometimes.

PS. I went to truck blow-out training too. That will scare the S#$% out of anyone.

Last edited:
I agree with You, Bill. I have a Class A CDL, which I am not using. I think having driven a truck long-haul made Me a better driver over-all. Changing back and forth from My Pickup to My bike keeps me sharp. When I am in My PU, I role-play traffic scenarios , as if I were riding My bike. I am approaching this intersection, is the car going to turn left in front of Me at the last second?.....I am a bit of a back seat driver, and I prefer to drive when going with a group. I dont trust anyones driving but My own. Most people dont mind, and most actually ask Me to drive, so , I guess they feel safe. They do have a tendency to freak out when I do a bootleg turn on them, though.:bike:

I think Bill that we are closer on our opinions that it may seem on the surface.

The reason I say riding in a truck and on a bike "may" make better drivers is that it would expose car drivers to another point of view. Too many drivers assume that driving a truck and riding a bike are exactly the same as driving a car, they don't realize that there are advantages to being in these vehicles, and some big disadvantages.

I have been driving a 70 ft. truck/trailer every day for the last 10years. Now my average day is only around 2 hours driving and the rest of the day is operating my directional drill. I have brought my wife in the truck with me different times and it has opened her eyes to the room a truck needs to turn, the increased visibility to the front but how poor it is all around. She has a new respect for trucks, giving them more room and staying out of their blind spots.
Being a rider, I've also taught her to watch for bikes, taught her not to follow too close just in case they are going down so she doesn't run them over. I personally hate riding in traffic. I live in the country, and commute to a small rural town on backroads that most riders go looking for. Riding in traffic with cars a few feet beside me will certainly raise the hackles, I think most people would feel the vulnerability riding on a bike.
Time spent with these vehicles may not help everyone, but a lot of drivers may pay a little more respect to us.

Having spent 28 years as a truck driver with a clean, accident free record, having been a 3rd party drivers liscense examiner, having gone to truck safety schools (skid pad training, rollover training) and certified to teach Smith System, AAA Driver safety, US an Canadian government driver safety, having trained DMV and DOT officers and having spent over 30 years riding motorcycles on the street I think I'm somewhat qualified to talk on this subject.

I also worked with local police in accident investigation.

But all that was before I got into the junk business.

Learning how to drive a truck and ride a motorcycle can't hurt. Having done those things should/could make one a better driver in a car. But it doesn't always work. I've seen great truck drivers and some of the safest bikers I know who are complete idiots in their cars. I've tried to figure this out but the only explanation I can come up with is this:

Cars and light trucks are too easy to drive, too insulating and have too many built in distractions. Trucks are moving in that direction. It's simply too easy to drive a car. If and when automatic motorcycles become popular the death rate will go up.

Sadly though, having investigated accidents, most accidents involving a motorcycle are the fault of the motorcyclist or the motorcyclist was partially at fault. Usually, excessive speed and inexperience play into the causes of a crash.

As to looking into the driver's eyes: If you're that close it's already too late. People pull out in front of bikes not realizing the bike is traveling far over the posted speed limit-- that makes the crash the fault of the biker AND the driver of the car. And if it's a tie you lose.

Like I said before, Sometimes.

PS. I went to truck blow-out training too. That will scare the S#$% out of anyone.

I am also a heavy vehicle licence driver and one of the worst things that can happen is a blowout on the steer at 100kph.I had to pull my arm in quick or the rubber would have taken it off as easy as it took the mirror.I once had a driver pull out on me in peak hour traffic and the car ended up under the truck,but the driver was ok,lucky.
We have a sticker on our trucks over here "If You Can't See Me I Can't see you"

RIDE SMART - MOTORCYCLES IMPROVE BRAIN FUNCTION
Riding motorcycles helps keep drivers young by invigorating their brains,
the scientist behind popular "Brain Training" computer software said
recently, citing a new scientific study. "The driver's brain gets activated
by riding motorbikes" in part because it requires heightened alertness,
Japanese neuroscientist Ryuta Kawashima said after his research team and
Yamaha Motor conducted a string of experiments involving middle-aged men.

"In a convenient and easy environment, the human mind and body get used to
setting the hurdle low," he warned. "Our final conclusion is that riding
motorcycles can lead to smart ageing."

Kawashima is the designer of "Brain Training" software, which incorporates
quizzes and other games and is available on the Nintendo DS game console
under the name "Brain Age".

A self-professed motorcycle fan, 49-year-old Kawashima cited a new study
conducted jointly by Yamaha and Tohoku University, for which he works.

One experiment involved 22 men in their 40s and 50s who held motorcycle
licenses but had not operated a cycle for at least a decade. They were
randomly split into two groups, with one asked to resume riding motorcycles
in everyday life for two months, and another that kept using bicycles or
cars. Kawashima says research showed the motorcycle-riding team demonstrated
improvements in memory, space recognition and other functions of the
prefrontal area. The area covers memory, information processing and
concentration functions.

"The group that rode motorbikes posted higher marks in cognitive function
tests," Kawashima said.

In a test requiring the men to remember a set of numbers in reverse order,
the riders' scores jumped by more than 50 percent in two months, while the
non-riders' marks deteriorated slightly, he said.

The riders also said they made fewer mistakes at work and felt happier.

"Mental care is a very big issue in modern society," said Kawashima. "I
think we made an interesting stir here as data showed you can improve your
mental condition simply by using motorbikes to commute."

In 2003, Kawashima authored "Train Your Brain: 60 Days to a Better Brain".
More recently, he teamed with Toyota to help develop intelligent cars
designed to help seniors drive safely.

ALSO:

I think the fact that we can lose our lives in a crash really puts driving into perspective.

We also understand that a car moving at 80mph is VERY FAST and something that can easily go out of control, unlike those idiots in their BMW X3 or Escalade mom-mobiles. Something they don't teach you very well in drivers ed. It begins with driver education, there's no surprise that the Finnish are the best drivers in the world, look at their drivers ed.

Commuting by bicycle will really open your eyes. If you think being on a motorcycle is bad, try pedaling through all those idiots. Most people don't even think bicycles should be on the road.

I have, on a couple occasions been honked at or yelled at by guys driving, with bumper stickers that say "Start seeing motorcycles".

I was reading an article about the death of motorcycling. There was all kinds of stuff on there. Making loud exhaust illegal, insurance rates, lead used in parts (which I could never see happen. What are they going to do, get rid of every lead product. Uh-um, fishing weights, hello!!!!), but one was how manditory rider education is bad...bad? How the hell is that bad? It's manditory in some states and an option in others. You have to go to driver education, correct? I had my license and still took it.
Many of the "new" riders where amazed at how there big, bad-ass, coolio selves couldn't even operate a motorcycle. A couple hours before they scared shit from themselves, they walked up with a cocky attitude, leather everything, and, of course, some story of how cool they are. It was a very humbling experience for many of them to say the least. All of them walked away with a different outlook on the roads and road sharing. One guy actually didn't pass because he would not listen to the instructor. "You keep saying 'I know', but obviously you don't".
I, personally, think you should have to take a course, but many put it with the helmet laws. I saw several bikes today going entirely too fast on a small road.
I'm sure ReycleBill, and anyone else that has gone to a motorcycle salvage yard, sees a whole bunch of street bikes all banged up. I really don't think they are all from accidents. More like stupid shit.
I also firmly believe they should have more motorcycle education mixed in with Drivers Ed. More informative classes to make the new drivers aware of motorcycles, bicycles, pedestians, ect. Even farm vehicles. And for people to stop doing stupid shit on bikes.

Yep very true and there was definitely eye contact when this Bitch pulled out on me when I was riding 2 up on my Harley.After taking drastic measures to avoid a crash with her monster 4 x4 I let her have a piece of my mind when I caught up with her while she just carried on blissfully ignorant.So my moral of the story is Don't always expect them to stop for you even if they do make eye contact.

Your right Dutchman that i worked for also said forget eye contact watch the front wheels direction their pointing is the direction the vehicle is going to go.Police commonly hear she looked right at me then drove right into me

Back