Better than Bondo?

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Read an article and watched a vid about a fix aviation guys are supposedly using for chips on propellors and flaps. The ingredients are Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda). You fill the chipped area with the super glue and sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda over the puddle, covering it completely. it pretty much dries instantly into a sand-able hard substance. I actually tried a small test piece and it worked, might be a good fix for chips and side-covers and and other small paintable repairs.

Last edited:
The ingredients are Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda).
Us R/C model airplane guys have been doin this for years. It does indeed work great!

I was going to post a link but if you go to you-tube and type in super glue and baking soda there are dozens to choose from.

I am a luthier, repair violins. This has been done on violin nuts for a long time now, where the strings have worn away the wood, causing the string to be too close to the fingerboard. I prefer to carve and fit a new nut. My bridges, saddles and nuts are like my signature on the instrument.

Damping parts with water will also make a better superglue repair.

Scott

Us R/C model airplane guys have been doin this for years. It does indeed work great!

Yup - I was just going to say that this type of repair is done all the time on RC aircraft. The result is very hard but it can be sanded and does't seem to ever crack or flake off.

Last edited:
Sorry Scott, that part of the post sounded funny....:)

I expected that, still, I am very proud of my nuts, they are a wonder to see. They definitely are one of a kind. I have been complimented on my nuts but have never won an award for them. They do stand out, compared to other luthier's nuts. I can do them in ebony or bone.

Scott

I expected that, still, I am very proud of my nuts, they are a wonder to see. They definitely are one of a kind. I have been complimented on my nuts but have never won an award for them. They do stand out, compared to other luthier's nuts. I can do them in ebony or bone.
Scott

Hi Scott,
I've never seen a naked luthier but as I reckoned that your biological nuts look the same as most men's
I was sure the word had more than one meaning so I googled "luthier's nuts" to see what those nuts looked like.
http://www.lmii.com/products/kit-wizard/nut/nuts-saddles
But why call a fiddle-string support a "nut", eh? Where's the thread? Where's the hexagon?

I may have done enough damage already, so back to the OP question and subject. I think plastic filler is a good product for its intended uses and the superglue and baking soda is viable in some situations but not always interchangeable.

And for anyone who may be able to connect my identity on this forum with my identity as a luthier......I honestly have never used superglue on any stringed instrument. Hot hide glue is used on instruments to make every repair and join reversible. If hide glue were to be invented today, it would be hailed as the new "superglue".

Scott

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
I've never seen a naked luthier but as I reckoned that your biological nuts look the same as most men's
I was sure the word had more than one meaning so I googled "luthier's nuts" to see what those nuts looked like.
OK - now YOU made me snort out loud Fred.

Read an article and watched a vid about a fix aviation guys are supposedly using for chips on propellors and flaps. The ingredients are Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda). You fill the chipped area with the super glue and sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda over the puddle, covering it completely. it pretty much dries instantly into a sand-able hard substance. I actually tried a small test piece and it worked, might be a good fix for chips and side-covers and and other small paintable repairs.

Hi WW
in a segue back to the topic, I'd suppose that "complimentary to" is more appropriate then "better than"
Just great to fix small nicks and dents, sure. But what about an ugly great inch-deep ding in a gas tank?
The smear & sprinkle technique ain't gonna fill that, eh?

You might be David Burgess. Lives in Michigan. Argumentative. Red shoelaces.

Ha !!! I know Burgess, built like a tank with arms like an oak tree, full of himself like no other, one damn lucky guy who made out like a bandit in a different time and still reaping the bounty. I've had my run-ins with David, but I'm a little guy, agile and quick.

Besides, Burgess is a boat guy. Believe it or not, this is the "Violin Capital of the World", we're still trying to figure out how that happened.

Scott

Last edited:
^I think Shar hired a lot of them and some stuck around. Then others gravitated toward that nucleus. I remember seeing his name in national publications nearly 40 years ago. If you have a top background, and a couple of friends of friends working for newspapers, then off you go... In those days at least. He must be very talented though.

Back