Big Bore Ignition Suggestions

txrenegade

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start wiring a newly built 750 big bore engine and I'm looking for suggestions on which ignition to run. The stator is factory so it will probably need to be upgraded also. Since this is a frame-up build, I am starting fresh. So... what ignition unit should I put in this thing?

I highly recommend a Pamco with the E-advance. They work amazingly well.

Why do you think the stock alternator needs to be upgraded? I've been using the stock alternator for 10 seasons now, and I always have see 14.2 volts on my voltmeter, as I drive down the road.

You should upgrade the stock rectifier and stock regulator, if you have 1970 to 1979 bike. They are both of an old design and don't work as well as modern units. A new 3 phase rectifier and a VR-115 (or equivalent) regulator will make your bikes electrical system very happy:bike:

If your bike is 1980 to 1984, then just keep using the combo rec/reg, as long as its producing 14+ volts.

Electrex world do a complete ignition with stator, self charging digital ignition crank based with the benifits of a lighting coil, with the GBP being week at the moment it should work out at a decent price, compared to PVL which are about twice the price.

Read the first thread Hooser...........He already has a 750 Kit in the bike....................

Your becoming a Virus in the Garage section................every time someone asks a question about an ignition your ramming your products down their gullet

I wouldn't buy one on principal.

He asked and I told, give the guy options. You would buy if you ever got one. As I said in another post "Don't by from me by from Heiden, go direct. just go look them over.
650 skull looks like your opinion is the only one that matters.
Who's pushing the pamco, I did not know this is pamco petes site. What is his phone # can you call him anytime (business hours) .
You can Hoosracing

Last edited:
Forgot to add if you are using this for racing only go with a PVL,from Penton Racing
Also get with Hugh , he has a new system in the works..
Skull that is 3 different systems I pointed him too 1 from retired and oh ya nothinhg but an Hijacked thread from you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. The only reason I'm considering upgrading the stator is because everything else will be fresh on the entire bike and I would just feel better knowing everything was new. I'll look into a few of these options that ya'll suggested.

Back