For Sale - Big bore kits $350???

I think you and I both agree his people skills suck!!!

+1 on this. He has been on the defensive since he first made statements about his website being in the works. Calling potential customers names like "Burger King" crowd and "whiners"... Not a good way to to start a new business. I admit that I was shocked to see the BBK prices when he finally launched his website, and I jumped on the wagon to get one too. I have not checked my holes yet to see if they are too small, but I assume they are the same as the rest. Not too worried about that as you all have showed it is an easy fix, and I still think the price was worth it even with that minor flaw. What does worry me is Joe's constant attack on his customers and lack of customer service skills. This will definitely make me think twice before ordering in the future. I will wait to see how all this ordeal pans out with whatever, if any response he decides to address this issue with. I also admit that I have not reached out to him with complaint. As mentioned, I am not aware of an issue with mine yet as I have it tucked away in storage. So I cannot comment if he is replying to individuals who have directly contacted him with their issues. But with this BBK offer being publicly advertised by him when he launched, it would be nice to see a statement from him to follow up with. I think it would go a long way with customers that he acknowledge the issue rather than ignoring a post like this that could be detrimental to his business.

I ordered some small parts from him yesterday and the order has already been processed and shipped with tracking # furnished. Great service.:thumbsup: I`ll order a lot more items from him when their back in stock.

I ordered some small parts from him yesterday and the order has already been processed and shipped with tracking # furnished. Great service.:thumbsup: I`ll order a lot more items from him when their back in stock.
They do ship fast. Wished they could get the items that are out of stock.

Question: do we want to drill out to 12mm for oil passage purposes. Chuck checked my kit and it needs to have the holes enlarged also.
Gave him the option to drill or wait for my return, wont do anything more til I'm back in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Personally, saving 300$ and only having to ream and clean out a few undersized holes won't bother me. It's infinitly easier to remove material than add material. Being a machinist, that's minutes of work, instead of completely unusable parts. I would accept any defect that is correctable up to the point where things don't line up, or say the sleeve was incorrectly installed. Thats impossible to fix.

Question: do we want to drill out to 12mm for oil passage purposes. Chuck checked my kit and it needs to have the holes e larged also.
i wont do anything more til i return from our trip in about 2 weeks.
Not necessary. Main return passage is down the middle. It's just residual down the studs. Sitting in a waiting room right now on my phone. I'll double check when I get home.

The big question is - what size holes are in the stock barrels.

I have to say I not real bothered by all this because in the end most stuff I get from the far east usually leave something to be desired and require some "fitting".
Check #25 above. I think Jim posted his measurements.

So... those return passages on the outboard studs are there in case there's a leak in the head. The head rocker box (as we all know) has pressure passages running in those outer studs, but they're sealed. The returns at the case are just there in case some oil bleeds by the seals in the head rocker box. So no, they don't need to be 12mm... 10.5 would be enough.

Otoh.... the factory drilled out to 12.4mm (at least on the one I measured), so it wouldn't hurt to do the same. If you're building a racer and are counting "grams".... drill 'em out to 13 or 14mm :sneaky:
EDIT: I meant the rocker box, not the head. Oops.

PXL_20210330_205200349.jpg

Last edited:
So... those return passages on the outboard studs are there in case there's a leak in the head. The head rocker box (as we all know) has pressure passages running in those outer studs, but they're sealed. The returns at the case are just there in case some oil bleeds by the seals in the head rocker box. So no, they don't need to be 12mm... 10.5 would be enough.

Otoh.... the factory drilled out to 12.4mm (at least on the one I measured), so it wouldn't hurt to do the same. If you're building a racer and are counting "grams".... drill 'em out to 13 or 14mm :sneaky:
EDIT: I meant the rocker box, not the head. Oops.

View attachment 188066

Hmm, that's a trick I learned on my RD350. Having minor reliefs cut into the studs keep the head pressure from blowing out the transfer ports.

I was suspicious right out of the gate. Seems to me undersized holes is an easy enough fix. It’s a pretty safe assumption it was known somewhere along the line of the defect. Reason they were bought wholesale at a discount. “You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up the butchers ass or just ask the bull....” haha Customer Service all around sucks these days. COVID? Maybe. Had issues ordering a vape system. Hoos site was having issues. Went to “Revival Cycles” Ordered and waited two weeks. Not been shipped. It wouldn’t let me email thru the hyper link. Tried to call a few times. Week later, I get a call. “Oh you didn’t see the 3-6 week lead time on the site? Oops that product didn’t have that posted.” Who’d thought Mikes DCC or whatever it is would have the best customer service? Crazy times...

I was suspicious right out of the gate. Seems to me undersized holes is an easy enough fix. It’s a pretty safe assumption it was known somewhere along the line of the defect. Reason they were bought wholesale at a discount. “You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up the butchers ass or just ask the bull....” haha Customer Service all around sucks these days. COVID? Maybe. Had issues ordering a vape system. Hoos site was having issues. Went to “Revival Cycles” Ordered and waited two weeks. Not been shipped. It wouldn’t let me email thru the hyper link. Tried to call a few times. Week later, I get a call. “Oh you didn’t see the 3-6 week lead time on the site? Oops that product didn’t have that posted.” Who’d thought Mikes DCC or whatever it is would have the best customer service? Crazy times...

See I thought just the opposite... it’s such an easy fix, from a production standpoint why would you sell them at a discount when you could have 1 guy at a drill press bang out 100 kits a day? It’s quick work.

From all my dealings/communications via email and 650Traders posts it seems as if they are a very fragmented operation. The people charge (the money) quite possibly have never even saw one of these kits(or any of their product for that matter) before they were shipped. Just ordered from an overseas “trusted” supplier, delivered to their warehouse. Webmaster runs the site and sends a notice to the packing and shipping person when an orders up.

that’s just a shot in the dark guess, could be way off... it’s all speculation cause short of complaining and bad mouthing customers 650 doesn’t say much and he seems to have made himself their official spokesman.

I ordered knowing if a problem was to arise, I’d be on my own. Buy with a credit card cause if they send junk they won’t take back, or don’t ship something at least you have some recourse via a charge back. They clearly don’t have the customers best interest in mind so make a wise choice and protect yourself to the best of your abilities.

When I worked for a major automobile supplier, I mean I was in QC. We made parts for almost all major car manufacturers. When bad parts got out, I went to sort. We would use color dot codes. Inspect until I’d see the right color dot show up at the customer sort site. Bad parts will get thru even the strictest QC standards. Fact. They definitely knew during inspection cycles (by shift or numeric increment) bad parts got out. How these rejects were sold....disclosures...above my pay grade. He best quality automobile manufacturers have had major QC issues arise. Things customers will not ever know about. I’m afraid to even say.

Remember this is the only post from 650Trader on this issue...........

650skull: Just found out what you are talking about an hour ago and made it right.
Not surprised you, Grizld, and a few other a holes that are just looking for anything to dis Mike about have
just jumped on this. We don't know what happened other than the factory may have again made some of the
special 860cc cylinders we made before that had no dowel pin holes. We will inspect all remaining stock.
As of March 31st. 2021 the kit price goes to $450.00 and everyone can thank you guys. Joe on behalf of Mike Lalonde

Calling people A Holes and only speculates what the problem is.......

If a new bussiness cant sort their own shit out then they reap what they sow.........

its all well and good for you guys who have lathes, or are very proficient at solving problems......What about those guys who have bought on good faith who would be getting someone else to do there mechanical work..........or if they have bought through Facebook where there isn't the help that this site provides.

gggGary, the xs650.com moderator is trying to sort out 650Traders failure to communicate and solve this issue and to smooth this over........i find this a bit strange

gggGary sorts the problem out, you give 650Trader a pass............no accountability........he will do it again.

The accepted new norm of abuse and poor service. As stated previously by someone, they expect and accept this sort of behavior these days........

Last edited:
I’m about done with this site. Turns into a bitch fest. Get tough or die. Or just take some measurements and fix your cheap kit.

Jray77 and others who voice the same opinion. This is Mike Lalonde - I have taken over Joe's
job and this is the real facts. We have a very large inventory of big bore kits and sold many
before we ran into any problems. In spite of what many want to think we did not want to try
and sell anything defective. ALL KITS ever made and sold were made from MY MOLDS and made at the
same factory. Anyone who has reported a defective part has been given an immediate full refund
and we have paid for the return shipping. The kit was sold at a loss - "Loss Leader " to promote our
new company - Do you really think we would promote with a defective part ? The item was also removed
from our site and only those who actually bought this part need to be concerned. In the past the Grizl'd
and crew have actually been critical of some of my parts before any had actually hit the market. I do not
Kowtow to them and this generates such hatred on their part that they search for every opportunity
to push their agenda. I sell most items now at about 30% less than anyone else which amounts to my 2010 prices.
When I started MikesXS in 1999 it was just to build a little retirement business and at that time there was almost
no parts available. I started selling and put the cash into new and more items and never took a penny out.
The experts who tell me how I should do my business should all be rich by now and if they want to do the XS
business I will gladly sell them the portion of my business they want - cheap ! I have been in the motorcycle parts-
Import, Export & distribution business for 44 years and almost every XS650 specialty company out there was
supplied by myself at one time. Michael G Lalonde

Jray77 and others who voice the same opinion. This is Mike Lalonde - I have taken over Joe's
job and this is the real facts. We have a very large inventory of big bore kits and sold many
before we ran into any problems. In spite of what many want to think we did not want to try
and sell anything defective. ALL KITS ever made and sold were made from MY MOLDS and made at the
same factory. Anyone who has reported a defective part has been given an immediate full refund
and we have paid for the return shipping. The kit was sold at a loss - "Loss Leader " to promote our
new company - Do you really think we would promote with a defective part ? The item was also removed
from our site and only those who actually bought this part need to be concerned. In the past the Grizl'd
and crew have actually been critical of some of my parts before any had actually hit the market. I do not
Kowtow to them and this generates such hatred on their part that they search for every opportunity
to push their agenda. I sell most items now at about 30% less than anyone else which amounts to my 2010 prices.
When I started MikesXS in 1999 it was just to build a little retirement business and at that time there was almost
no parts available. I started selling and put the cash into new and more items and never took a penny out.
The experts who tell me how I should do my business should all be rich by now and if they want to do the XS
business I will gladly sell them the portion of my business they want - cheap ! I have been in the motorcycle parts-
Import, Export & distribution business for 44 years and almost every XS650 specialty company out there was
supplied by myself at one time. Michael G Lalonde

Hi All:
I've been busy with my day job and except for posting a few funnies, I haven't been active on XS650.com for several weeks. Therefore, I am just catching up on all of this and I would like to offer some comments:
  • the BBK seemed like an awesome deal - I wish I'd bought one or two at the $350 USD price;
  • the undersized stud hole issue is unfortunate, but the fix seems pretty simple and even if you had to send it to a proper machine shop or buy a special piece of tooling (i.e. a letter drill or a ream) - the price would still be very good IMO;
  • the response of Joe was pretty angry, rude and unjustified and as people say, he turned what could have been an opportunity to help start a business on a good footing into a negative thing - which is really too bad;
  • the efforts by many folks on the forum to determine the best solution(s) were all done in good faith and are yet another contribution to keeping these great old bikes running well - if not better than new;
  • Mike Lalonde's response quoted above sounds a lot more like the sort of thing I would hope for from a business person;
  • I am in Canada and so I have bought A LOT of parts from XS650Direct in Stratford, ON and have found their service to be incredibly good and their parts (with just a few exceptions like the starter gear #4 spring and the front timing chain tensioner - for both of which there are easy fixes) to be of good quality and priced fairly.
  • To be clear: I found that if there was an issue - XS650Direct made it right without hesitation and I was fully satisfied with the resolution;
  • I really hope that Mike's new business does well and that he can get Joe to either sort out his mood issues or stay off the frickin' keyboard.
In my experience, not many business people set-out to annoy or cheat a customer - and so starting the solution of a problem with calm respectful communications is always the best way to go. If things turn sour - then OK, get the "words" out - but be careful to not cut off your nose to spite your face. My wise old Gramma used to say "you'll catch more bees with honey than vinegar - YOUNG MAN!"

I'll finish with this: businesses like XS650Direct, MikesXS, XSPerformance and Mike's new business venture makes restoring, running and riding our Yamaha XS650s much easier, way more economical and far more fun than it would be without them. I, for one, value their presence and contributions to the XS650 community and will continue to use them whenever I need parts. If there are problems, I am pretty confident the companies will make it right, based on my past experiences.

Yes, there may be a few bumps along the way, but heck, if I wasn't willing to handle a few problems, I sure wouldn't be owning, restoring and riding three 40+ year old motorcycles (actually four if you count the '83 BMW R100RS).

I would just go out a buy a brand new bike with a factory warranty and if there were issues, I'd be barking (nicely of course - because I am a f@cking Canadian, afterall) at the stealership.

Pete

Last edited:
Back