Bike died while running, PAMCO fried

JoyRider

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I was out for a short cruise and my 1979 xs650 died within a mile of my house...I pulled into a parking lot thinking I would just need to swap out a fuse. I opened my fuse covering and noticed that my fuse box underneath the main fuse had melted. =( Oddly enough the fuse seems to be fine. There was a black residue left on top of my battery from this. I took my bike home and started to remove my coil to replace it with a spare..that's when I noticed my PAMCO was fried. >_< I have no idea what to do now other than to replace the ignition. I had no other problems with my bike before this. Except that once in a while my headlight would flicker out for a second or two. :confused: any suggestions?

Sounds like a voltage spike of somekind and possibly a bad ground.

I would put the p&c back in so that you can run it and test to see what might be causing this

yeah like mrkil said. do you warranty thing, but in the meantime find out what caused this. the flickering headlight may be a warning. do you have a wiring diagram that you based your wiring off of. what are your other electrical components? REGULATOR? rectifier? what size fuse were you using as a main? and for the pamco?

I can't seem to find an exposed wire anywhere. =\ I've had a hard time trying to find a wiring diagram for my '79. I have the repair manual with a couple different possibilities but none match the wiring/colors I have. Sadly, I don't think my pamco is under warranty. I bought it a year ago, before the extended 2 year warranty. I don't know what my regulator/rectifier looks like or where it's located. I have a 20 amp fuse in my main and a 10 amp for the ignition.
From what I understand I can test the voltage regulator after I replace the PAMCO, which is an expense that I'm saving for atm. In the mean time I'd like to start working on the bike but I just don't know where to start. It seems I'm kinda stuck untill I can install another ignition. :banghead:

JoyRider,

The PAMCO had a one year warranty prior to this year. Out of warranty, you can have the PC board replaced for $45 plus shipping and continue using the same rotor. PM for details.

There is a number on teh power transistor. Could he just buy a new transistor from an electronics store and solder it in? Or does the hall sensor burn up? What about using a GM module? A fellow that bought an early Pamco and I were thinking about field fixes for longer trips.

Tom

There is a number on teh power transistor. Could he just buy a new transistor from an electronics store and solder it in? Or does the hall sensor burn up? What about using a GM module? A fellow that bought an early Pamco and I were thinking about field fixes for longer trips.

Tom

Tom, my Pamco ignition has been quite reliable the last few years. However,I always like to have a plan B in case of a failure. I carry a set of points and a points cam on the bike. If the electronic ignition fails, I can just change over to the points. The points will always get you home.

Back