Bike dies, then runs, then dies is it my battery

Lluber

Noob
Reaction score
So, my 83 650 seems to be having some battery issues or recharging issues or something along those lines. Bought the bike in march PO told me he had put in a new battery as well as new tires.

The problem: Bike starts and runs (I typically kick start it because my electric start only seems to work when the bike has been warmed up Maybe that bit will help with what the bigger problem is here). So I took her for a ride.. got about 1-2 miles from my shop and the bike shut off. I put it in neutral, kick it....nothing. Green neutral light is on but a little dim, headlight is on but also kinda dim. Push it until im nice and sweaty and I'll press the start button (starter is clicking but bike wont start) kick it and it starts up, let it idle for a min.. I put it in first, move about 100 feet and it dies. I gave up on bothering trying to ride her back, I pushed it to my shop, kicked it, it started. She idled for a few min and sounded ok literally as soon as I tapped the brake lever bike shut off. I also noticed while It was idling in my garage the headlight seemed to fade then come back as I would rev the throttle.

This happened about 2 weeks ago and I put her on my tender charger and that seemed to fix it. Since then I've only taken her out once (20 mile ride) which taught me how to change a tire as well as what running out of gas on the highway is like ;)

I'm sure this has been discussed but I wasn't able to find it. Seems like I need to check the water levels in my battery (I'll do that tonight) and add distilled water if its low. IF thats not the problem what do I begin checking testing next?

Thanks.

You need to get out the multimeter and you will know very easily whats going on. You have to see what the battery reads at and what the battery reads with the bike running. Its probably not charging and thats killing the battery but multi meter will tell all

Yep that will work. Around 12.5 off. Running with no throttle 13 or so. Rev up about 14 14.5 If u start it up and it goes lower then the reading with the bike off u aren't charging

After getting your battery back tip top.
Check your brushes. They are a wear item.
Then ohm test your rotor. There is a pic in my album if need reference.

Thanks for the info visimpact & weekendrider.

@Weekendrider I see the photo of your rotor, but not sure how I get to that. I also dont know what or where my brushes are. I'll do some poking around on the forum and see If I can find some more info.

thanks again guys.

think I found it.. Was in another thread you had posted in with a person experiencing what sounds like a similar problem.

"under the left side engine cover, don't even need to take the shifter off." and if the wear lines are around 3/8" they need replacing..

I had this same problem. Rather than tinker away with the stock charging system that was bound to fail me anyway, I bought Hughs PMA. Haven't encountered the problem since. Good luck brother.

damn, $319 .. I think Im going to check my brushes 1st since those are a easy $16 .. If it ends up being a larger problem. Ill look into this kit..

@ hoperator - Just incase it ends up being more than a battery / brushes issue did you get the entire PMA rebuild kit? and whats the difficulty of getting all that put in?

Thanks~

damn, $319 .. I think Im going to check my brushes 1st since those are a easy $16 .. If it ends up being a larger problem. Ill look into this kit..

@ hoperator - Just incase it ends up being more than a battery / brushes issue did you get the entire PMA rebuild kit? and whats the difficulty of getting all that put in?

Thanks~
Bought the whole kit. Well worth the price for peace of mind. It's very very easy to put in. Hugh has a great how-to on his website. The only hitch is you need a rotor puller tool ($10 at mikesxs).

Found it dennis. Thanks for pointing me to that. I've read mentions of the slap test on other threads. I appreciate all the advice and info from you guys on this.

Thanks

Earlier this riding season I experienced the same problem with my '73 TX. Upon inspection, the fluid levels in the battery were way low! Added distilled water to prescribed levels, charged the battery and away it went again with no further problem! Earlier you eluded to inspecting electrolyte level in the battery - would be great if that cures the problem for you as it did for me. Best wishes.......................Wesley

battery fluid levels look fine to me.. Im thinking its gotta be one of the other things mentioned above. Or it could just be a shitty battery to begin with "Magna Power" most of the reviews I've read about it are decent thou.. My 1.5amp trickle charger also gave me the green light yesterday after having it charge for almost a full 24Hrs. So im inclined to think the battery is alright. Still need to check all these things. had some other parts arrive which I needed my friends extra set of hands for so this got pushed off for a few days.

I is possible to develop full charge value with a depleted battery, but still not be able to deliver the amperage capacity for a peak load.

Checked my brushes last night.. They looked fine and I could see plenty if space between the end and the replacement marks.. I also remembered that I removed one of my tail light bulbs as well as the high beam indicator bulb.. Replacing those today too just incase they are causing a battery drain.

something like THIS? what reading should I be looking for when its running vs not running

I don't see an update on what voltage you measured. If you don't get at least 14.1 volts at 3000 rpm, you are not fully charging the battery.

A couple of suggestions to greatly improve your charging. Get rid of the stock tail/brake light with its two #1157 bulbs. Those bulbs are a huge drain on the electrical system. Replace with an LED tail/brake llight, as they draw a very small current.

Also, use a 40 watt low beam, not a 55 watt.

so, I just checked the voltage while the batter was off the bike vs when it was on the bike and the bike was running/reved. I was reading 12.74 while battery was off the bike. When I started it up and checked the voltage it fluttered between 11.0 and 6.0 when I reved the trottle there wasn't much of a difference from when the bike was at a idle.

I also did the hang a wrench off a screw driver test and turn the ignition key and the wrench did pull to the engine housing.

So, what should my next steps be?

Remove the right brush. Set your VOM to the lowset scale ohm.
Stick one probe in the brush holder hole to contact the inner ring.
Put the other probe on the outter ring.
You should get a reading other than "I".
If you don't chances are the probes aren't making contact.

Back